F4J Phantom Tamiya

vvwse4

2 hours ago, Gerhard said:

Superb work, and motivation for me. A) I need to buy this exact same kit. B). I am a WWII guy, not really into building jets.

This thread will be bookmarked and used as my How To.

Keep it up, you are doinga brilliant job.

Thanks, to be honest this is the second jet I have ever build, also WW2 guy normally. But I like the Phantom very much.

Made a little progress, you know spent the whole afternoon masking, ten minutes of painting and getting rid of the tape...

DSCN7032

DSCN7023

DSCN7027

After that I couldn't help myself but I had to see how the cockpit looked with the seats in it. Quite happy with that actually, some overspray but that can be fixed.

DSCN7024 DSCN7028 DSCN7029 DSCN7030

Now I need to make new masks for the markings. Only problem is that I probably accidently deleted the Silhouette files, or saved them somewhere somewhere..... :BANGHEAD2:

I have to figure where they are or out how I did it.......that will be interesting

Rick.

• 4 weeks later...

Working on the markings, the black letters were surprisingly easy the stars and bars not and don't get me started on the tail....approaching this the Ben way. Unfortunately lots of work right now and no benchtime.

DSCN7102

DSCN7103

DSCN7104

DSCN7105

The tail after attemp 4, cannot seem to get the size right.

Cheers Rick

Edited by vvwse4

Had some time to kill so made some progress with the markings.

DSCN7318

Now that wasn't so bad, so now for the stars and bars

DSCN7319 DSCN7320

WTF??????????????!!!!

So Vallejo over Mr Hobby is obvious a NoGo, what a way to figure that out........ F..K!!!

DSCN7323

So I had some Mr Hobby gloss white and sprayed that over the lot. Let it dry for some days and see how it comes out. Really getting sick and tired of this thing. Don't ask about the tail.........

On 2/13/2022 at 10:14 PM, LSP_Kevin said:

Discovering paint incompatibilities during a build like is certainly disheartening, Rick. But you've done great work so far, so step back, take a few breaths, and come back to it later with fresh enthusiasm.

Kev

Thanks Kevin.

Damage assessment.....

DSCN7331 DSCN7330

DSCN7329 DSCN7328 DSCN7326 DSCN7325

Not really sure what to think of this. It looks not bad from 4 feet away but it is not what I wanted it to be. The white stripes on the stars and bars are covered but I am not sure if I continue with the red stripe because it doesn't look good.

What do you recon, sand it all off or is there a way I might be able to rescue this?

Rick