SYLDAVIAN P.11C. The final cut!

quang

Some great links there Quang, very interesting indeed. My wife and I, both retired teachers, were discussing yesterday why the kids in the UK still have to flog through Shakespeare studies for their educational certificates in English Literature, personally I hated it and still do.

There’s a lot more involved in the study of Herge and his Tintin books from both a literary aspect and a geographical/demographical/historical perspective. When Herge’s books are thought about in the context of the troubled times in Europe in which they were written they take on a whole new significance. Fascinating! I think your build could/should lead to a Syldavian Air Force GB! 

Glad you like the links, Max!

The Tintin books spanned 50 years (1929 - 1983), each one reflecting the political and societal of the times. The stories were set all over  the world: colonialism in Belgian Congo, communism in Soviet Russia, Japanese imperialism in pre-WWII China, the cold war, man on the moon,... Hergé’s draughtsmanship was extremely precise with a keen eye for detail.

Tintin was hugely popular in French-speaking countries and post-WWII Europe. The books were translated in dozen languages but failed to impress overseas. Stephen Spielberg tried to introduce Tintin to the  US with his recent film to no avail.

5 hours ago, quang said:

The books were translated in dozen languages but failed to impress overseas. Stephen Spielberg tried to introduce Tintin to the  US with his recent film to no avail.

The books were readily available here in Australia when I was a kid, and I read quite a lot of them. It's a pity I hardly remember any of them! As for the Spielberg film - I loved it! I don't recall it being a flop at all, I can still remember leaving the cinema with a rare thought on my mind: I hope they make a sequel! Peter Jackson was due to do just that, but this seems unlikely now.

Kev

They are the rare kind of books that afford multiple readings and take a new significance depending on the period of your life when you read them.

I started reading them when I was 9-10 years old, am still reading them with genuine pleasure and even discovering new details.:rolleyes:

Q.

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 5:41 PM, LSP_Ray said:

Here is a thread that explains it the best:

It just seemed to me a country called Syldavia sounds like it could be a neighbor.

It could be, could be. One never knows what goes on in those backwoods countries of the Balkans, South America, etc.

Hopefully the book, entitled "the Streamline Locomotive" should be available this summer.

Stephen Auslender, Grand Poobah, Vulgarian Armed Forces

42 minutes ago, ssculptor said:

This is the first I ever heard of Tin tin. It never really made it in America's shores, I guess.

Stephen Spielberg tried to make a Tintin film version in 2011 but failed miserably to convince Tintin fans as you can read HERE.

In the 1960s, Hergé created a series of 60 chromoprints dedicated to aviation. Click HERE to see the entire series.

An example of Hergé’s clean and exacting style. Note the details on Tintin’s RAF flight gear.

21-F1-CECF-F88-E-4-AD2-9-B39-DDDD9-D8-FA

34 minutes ago, Kagemusha said:

What a great model, and I love the Tin Tin connection, I thoroughly enjoyed watching the TV series when it was screened annually during the summer holidays, happy days.

Apparently you also like Kurosawa’s movies :P

10 hours ago, quang said:

Max’s fav :P

157-CB828-ED8-B-45-C7-8-E65-4919-A0-DA9-

So right, and the draughtsmanship in that drawing is superb. A simplified Gladiator but so right for detail and most importantly, perspective.