EE Lightning - Echelon vacuform

mozart

So my main focus today was supposed to be making the scoops and ducts for the Lightning, before I got side-tracked into fitting the undercarriage!  A little time spent carving formers from some scrap resin, then "moulding" lead foil over the top, finally putting some UV-cured glue inside (thanks Quang) to make them more robust.  Like most things, they are fiddly to do at first but practice makes it easier.  The best tool is the Mk1 finger nail:

eNW4om.jpg

All undercarriage now firmly fixed and epoxied:

NMenw7.jpg

Edited by mozart

38 minutes ago, monthebiff said:

Absolutely superb work Max, looking very nice especially on her legs. A genius build adding all of the extra resin stuff not made for the Echelon vac kit.

Regards. Andy 

More of a stupid genius idea Andy, didn’t know the Aires stuff wouldn’t fit but having bought it all, it was damn well going to! I’ve been told more than once that I’m a stubborn sod!! :wacko:

30 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

Very nice work! It is a pity Echelon did not go on as their vacforms were first class kits! 

Absolutely right Thierry, a great shame Echelon’s kits are so scarce, and if I’m being totally honest, that people have them but perhaps are apprehensive about trying to build them. Luckily I managed to get one of their Hunters recently so that will be fun! No resin this time. 

On 6/30/2020 at 9:59 PM, mozart said:

A great shame Echelon’s kits are so scarce, and if I’m being totally honest, that people have them but perhaps are apprehensive about trying to build them. Luckily I managed to get one of their Hunters recently so that will be fun! No resin this time. 

File under things that will probably never happen, but stranger things have. 

Given that the big Revell Hunter is practically an IM version of the Echelon vacform - as Frank was memorably miffed at - it may not be inconceivable that when Cold War jets return to popularity (in the absence of any new real world subjects) a ''tribute' Revell version of the Echelon Lightning could be on the cards. Not saying it is, just that they have form.

8 minutes ago, Chek said:

Given that the big Revell Hunter is practically an IM version of the Echelon vacform - as Frank was memorably miffed at

Now, that’s a bold statement. :coolio:

On 7/1/2020 at 9:36 AM, blackbetty said:

fantastic work, Max!

Thanks Karl, I'm keen to push on with the Lightning, it certainly isn't a chore to do all this but I am looking forward to getting some paint on her! 

2 hours ago, Chek said:

Given that the big Revell Hunter is practically an IM version of the Echelon vacform - as Frank was memorably miffed at - it may not be inconceivable that when Cold War jets return to popularity (in the absence of any new real world subjects) a ''tribute' Revell version of the Echelon Lightning could be on the cards. Not saying it is, just that they have form.

That would be somewhat ironical don't you think given the 1/32 Hunter kit history!  And damned cheeky to boot.