HPH FW 189 Eagle Owl.

Phartycr0c

Another little update mainly around the time taken to produce belts buckles and make a start on the interior "bits and pieces" 

While these kits are outstanding in their detail, removing some of the parts from the casting blocks is the equivalent of diffusing a bomb (well probably not but you get what I mean) 

49773271861_66724f3b2f_b.jpg

Starting to get a little colour into the bird, if you can call RLM 66 colour, I will be playing with this as far as possible in order to vary the tones of the interior otherwise the RLM 66 will be REALLY monotone. 

In addition I have popped some colour onto the engine cowlings in preparation to use them as a canvas on which to attempt the "squiggle" camouflage..... ill let you know. 

Anyhow, I am still enjoying this kit and now colour is starting to be added, Hopefully it will start coming together.

49773495612_957220fe4d_b.jpg  

49772637768_09498b1638_b.jpg

49773502032_64b10eba7a_b.jpg

49772645023_e9ae598fed_b.jpg

I must say, the PE flap sections are exquisite, however, the instructions on how they are placed are a little vague as the inner section is clearly a little smaller than the flap itself. I desperately want to display this aircraft with the flaps open as its a shame to cover up such lovely detail however their placement is confusing me a little at the moment. 

If anyone here has built this kit could they give me a shout, although there are not that many of these about. 

49773508872_87e255df1c_b.jpg

till next time

14 minutes ago, Phartycr0c said:

I must say, the PE flap sections are exquisite, however, the instructions on how they are placed are a little vague as the inner section is clearly a little smaller than the flap itself. I desperately want to display this aircraft with the flaps open as its a shame to cover up such lovely detail however their placement is confusing me a little at the moment. 

If anyone here has built this kit could they give me a shout, although there are not that many of these about. 

49773508872_87e255df1c_b.jpg

till next time

Do you have the valiant wings publication on this airframe? It has some diagrams which could be of help. If not I can make a scan for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Back again with an update. Hopefully its apparent as to why they have been so few and far between as I forge my way through the cockpit fit out. 

The detail in this kit is outstanding and while the moulding process is clever with the parts placed onto wafers each part need seperate cleanup and while it takes a little more time Its no better or worse than the cleanup of IM parts. 

What has been an issue is the construction of the rear end where the gunner will be. I manages to attach the main cabin floor ever so slightly askew which in turn threw out the side windows which really should not be attached yet but all of the area is brought together by the gun mounting ring which again if out, throws out the fitting of the upper canopy parts. 

I cant really re adjust the floor part so I am somewhat winging it until the canopy goes on which is very soon. 

My only other gripe is that the supplied eduard colour PE panels are a little too blue for my liking . Im not sure whether to try and give them an extremely light wash to tone them down a little? 

I have also spruced up the interior with several of Pete's  Airscale Luftwaffe placards, there is no rhyme or reason as to placement, just poetic licence. anyway, I hope you like it so far?

49821813812_9d92a68b04_b.jpg

49821503071_b92f148672_b.jpg

49821507231_b519cd29b4_b.jpg

49820974628_478990e131_b.jpg

49821526616_d643de3b6d_b.jpg

49821841137_6e43c39c08_b.jpg

I have to say though, Having looked at the photos full screen Im really pleased with the "leatherwork" and how it has come out. Far better than I hoped, such is the detail in this kit! 

The cockpit looks really good Dave, very convincing effect on the leather and canvas. The color problem with the PE is a familiar one, a lot of older PE sets from Eduard have this bluish tint on them. It really helps to paint the blue parts by hand to a more apropriate color (or if you're up for it, use tape and airbrush).

I hope you can overcome the fit issues. Maybe remove a little bit on the side of the cabin floor to get a better fit  with the side windows? But I guess you've already tried that.

Good luck anyway and keep m coming!

• 2 weeks later...

Progress on this build is still crawling along. 

I have started a second build of a Hobby Boss Fiesler Storch to occupy the time during drying times for the epoxy .  It helps.... 

The build has progressed unremarkably right up to the point of starting to attach the glazing parts which Is where I now find that the addage of dry fit dry fit dry fit comes into play. 

The geometry of the various parts are critical in this aircraft as are the compound curves transitioning into the flat underside panel of the rear glazing unit. Its an attractive aircraft but unless you get all of the test fitting absolutely precise then its a complete cow to put together. I dunno if im losing my dexterity but i had parts correct one side and not the other, and vice versa, In the end it came together of a fashion. The shape is all determined by the gun ring which might be a little undersized but i'm not sure. 

49880230961_840e852ebe_b.jpg

49880539802_e7de5bc716_b.jpg

49880540232_496db59d27_b.jpg

Grinning footballer included to distract from the arse end work going on. 

Forgot to mention, as you can see I have completed the flap structures in prep for the final construction process. I will clean them up and pop a wash over them to bring out the lovely details. 

Any Hoo!

having beaten the back end into submission, ( with the exception of the final cleanup,) my attention turned to undercarriage components, which again are sublime with the exception of a slight short shot where the reinforcing rod has popped through the resin casting.

No big issue but to try and cover it over would make the offending UC leg horribly thick in appearance so I'll leave as is and camouflage it best I can. 

49880229486_bb4b4d8457_b.jpg

Excuse the yellow hue to the photos, whit balance dont you know....

Then on to the next issue which certainly isnt of my making.  

The centre section of fuselage between the two sets of glazing is slightly out of profile, almost squat in its appearance and therefore not wide enough to span the fuselage gap. 

Reading Jan Gauber's build article, he encountered exactly the same problem which required the part to be built up using several shims to compensate for the difference in height between the front and rear glazing parts. 

The following photos hopefully illustrate the issue. 

49880538822_2675ef04ed_b.jpg

49879702503_86985fc856_b.jpg

49879702858_82241d5f07_b.jpg

You can see the gap between the edge of the upper fuse part and the fuselage sidewall, its meant to be flush. Shim and packing city beckons! 

Finally I would like your opinions on the below photograph. 

Taking into account the scheme I am looking to complete I have been experimenting with various methods to achieve the "squiggle" pattern. Airbrushing was NOT successful, the airbrush needs to be at 90 degrees to the subject at all times and there are far to many curves on this beast so I failed. 

The best I could come up with is an acrylic paint pen in pale green (rlm 76 ish).  I had a squiggle session on the painted engine nacelles and while it looks a little bright I will tone it all down with a filter and wash.  Its probably the best solution to my issues but I would like to know what you guys think. 

49880627537_f66eb984e1_b.jpg

I really like what you are doing here and a huge credit to you getting this far!  I have their Walrus, Catalina and Dak and am almost too scared to touch them now LOL.

I think your squiggle idea looks good, I am not a Luftwaffe modeler though so there might be other techniques out there someone will come out with to help you.

But in my opinion I think if you were to use a super thinned Dk green (practically all thinner with a touch of colour) then it will soften the difference between the two, filters and washes to complete, I reckon it will be hard to tell it wasn't sprayed.  Sometimes spraying something just because it originally was can give an unrealistic or messy job if it is just too complex.  I think there are only very few who have those superhuman abilities to pull that off!

I think its lovely and am very impressed at what you have done so far, keep up the great work

Cheers Anthony

Hi Anthony, many thanks for the feedback. 

I must say, despite the "issues" I have had, the kit goes together really well. The main problems have been caused by a mixture of me thinking I know better and not necessarily following the build instructions, that said i cannot do anything about the only undersized part except to employ modelling knowhow. 

Im envious that you have the C 47 ,I too have the Catalina ans was using this build as my first foray into resin kit building. It certainly hasn't put me off. 

• 3 weeks later...