Mikoyan MIG-17, Trumpeter. *Completed*

BradG

I got this kit last year for a bargain price. It doesn't look too bad in the box, it has a full engine with it too. You can also build it as a PF or standard F, but the down side is that apart from drop tanks, there are no weapons or pylons included. You might also be able to build a PM with some small modifications, but again you need pylons and K-5 missiles. Anyways I'm not sure which I will build yet or what colourscheme, I'll give that some thought this week.

EBXQ2X8.jpg

Edited by BradG

Hi Brad!

I have this kit and here are a few things to look out for:

The canopy shape is off, so if you want to make a MiG-17F, you should look for the Squadron vacform replacement. I don't think there is a PF vac, but the kit PF windscreen is ok, so you could combine to get a good result.

The fuselage break is in the wrong place! It is 20mm forward!

The kit is really an F, as the PF has a much wider air intake and the forward fuselage in front of the windscreen is widened significantly.

I recommend the Squadron MiG-17 Walk Around for the detail photos of all versions.

Alain

Edited by Alain Gadbois

14 hours ago, Alain Gadbois said:

Hi Brad!

I have this kit and here are a few things to look out for:

The canopy shape is off, so if you want to make a MiG-17F, you should look for the Squadron vacform replacement. I don't think there is a PF vac, but the kit PF windscreen is ok, so you could combine to get a good result.

The fuselage break is in the wrong place! It is 20mm forward!

The kit is really an F, as the PF has a much wider air intake and the forward fuselage in front of the windscreen is widened significantly.

I recommend the Squadron MiG-17 Walk Around for the detail photos of all versions.

Alain

Hmmm ok. I was thinking about displaying the engine but not now. I can kinda live with everything else. 

1 hour ago, BradG said:

Hmmm ok. I was thinking about displaying the engine but not now. I can kinda live with everything else. 

I think they put in the same engine sprue as the MiG-15, and that tail pipe is shorter, so they cheated on the position of the break.

I recommend you glue the front and back parts of each side together, to avoid fit problems.

Alain

Ah yeh, I'm starting to realise this Thierry after getting things out of the box. As advised, the fuselage split is indeed a couple of centimeters away from where it should be. *sigh*, red line is where it should be, or there abouts. Could be one of these models you build just as is and let it be.

oIDzXxI.jpg

The more I look the worse this kit gets. I started some minor construction on the interior, I also found a tail keel extra in one of my 1/32 MiG 21's, it's a little too big but with some work it should look ok, if not 100% accurate.

WCa1eCp.jpg

I decided to take the advice of gluing the fuselage halves together first, but I'll just do it for one side, allowing some wiggle room on the other, either way it does mean some filling and sanding. I wasn't sure I'd get both straight.

sAt3VzE.jpg

Hi,

I was studying my kit a couple weeks ago, as a possible subject for the GB, and I had the same impression as you, with regard to the quality of the kit.

Yet, it does capture the look of the MiG-17, as long as you don't check refrences and then feel you might be better just throwing it away!

Like Thierry, said OOTB is the best way to deal with this kit.

Alain

ps I forgot to mention the noticeably missing tail keel...Glad you noticed! Those designers were really sleeping on this kit!

• 4 weeks later...

IIRC this was one of Trumpeters first kits. Building it OOB is probably best, unless you really want to punish yourself. Would like to see Trumpeter do a new tool on some of their earlier MiG series, they have learned a lot since the first kits.

Don

7 hours ago, Alain Gadbois said:

Nice start!

Have you thought of the markings yet?

Alain

I'm thinking Polish, they had some nice 3 tone schemes at the training schools in the mid 80's, plus I found one that did not have the drag chute conversion to the tail. Although I've been working on perhaps making that conversion.