? re Tamiyas F-4C/D raised panels

Lothar

I had a closer look at the fuselage of the kit I required recently and found that there are a lot

of raised panels all over the airframe. I have my doubts those are correct for a regular flying

example. Are those eventually repair patches replicated from a damaged airframe? Would be

a pitty since it's certainly not very entertaining to remove them.

Lothar

7 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

I have photographed literally every square inch of the fuselage of four different F-4s at Pima and elsewhere in Tucson, and none of them has any of those raised panels anywhere on it.

I consider your research as fact, so thanks for your response.

Lothar

17 minutes ago, ziggyfoos said:

There are some panels that should be there but for some reason Tamiya molded the panels as raised when they should be flush. For example:

Very helpful link indeed, thank you for that.

Lothar

1 hour ago, Cheetah11 said:

The F-4EJ boxing does not have them. It must be a different mold as the nose section is also shorter.

I sanded mine off on the J model.

That doesn’t seem right.  I just checked my Tamiya F-4E boxing and it has the raised panels all over the fuselage, plus all the kits have the same intakes, and those also have raised panels.  I can’t see Tamiya remolding the fuselage and intakes from the F-4E, when those parts should be identical.

Edited by Dave Williams

Sorry Dave,

I see they are still there but seems a lot less pronounced than the C/J kit. The nose of the E ends in different place from the C/J. I don’t know if the mound is different or if it can adjust like the Italeri Mirage kits.

Nick

Edited by Cheetah11
Additional text

It is a grind in both senses of the word, but nothing compared to the undersized jet nozzles. Replace the latter and other sins can be forgiven.

GT Resin is your friend, and how I wished they'd sell the nozzles via Hannants or another UK importer/distributor.

Tony 

43 minutes ago, Tony T said:

It is a grind in both senses of the word, but nothing compared to the undersized jet nozzles. Replace the latter and other sins can be forgiven.

GT Resin is your friend, and how I wished they'd sell the nozzles via Hannants or another UK importer/distributor.

Tony 

I've bought the Aires exhaust nozzles for the Tamiya kit and they do fit the Revell kit quite well. SB website state that the 

GT Resin sets are made to fit the Revell AND Tamiya kit. I haven't unpacked my Tamiya kit yet but I've measured the kit nozzles

and the Aires nozzles and they are almost the same diameter. But as I said, I have not yet unpacked the Tamiya fuselage parts

to get an exact measurement of the nozzle opening diameter. But admittedly I'm a bit confused now if the GT parts would

be indeed the correct diameter since they seem to fit the Revell kit as well.

Lothar

Edited by Lothar

GT offer two different sized sets for the J79-17 long nozzles, one for the Tamiya and one for the Revell.

As Revell don't have a C or D (or F-4B) in their range is it possible that their old (H187) RF-4E kit had an RF-4C option that needed J79-15 short nozzles?

That might explain the difference with the new (90s) tool Revell Recce Phantoms and the more recent E/F/G developments.

19 minutes ago, Chek said:

GT offer two different sized sets for the J79-17 long nozzles, one for the Tamiya and one for the Revell.

As Revell don't have a C or D (or F-4B) in their range is it possible that their old (H187) RF-4E kit had an RF-4C option that needed J79-15 short nozzles?

That might explain the difference with the new (90s) tool Revell Recce Phantoms and the more recent E/F/G developments.

Sorry, my fault, I'm talking about the Revell RF-4C with the short GE J79-15 nozzles - and the GT short nozzle set states to be made

to fit both Revell and Tamiya. But I just found out that Wolfpack also do a set of short nozzles in 32nd and found a dirt cheap set at

a store here in Germany and took the plunge and ordered it. Will see if it's any different from the Aires set.

Lothar

If you're about the size difference between the nozzles, here's a pic I took while building my F-4E. 

The kit one is on top, Cutting Edge in the middle and the GT Resin one is on the bottom.

20170917_202244-L.jpg

I have a GT Resin short can J-79 in the stash somewhere if you want to see that one. 

Carl