Doyusha A6M2b Type 21 Zero

LSP_K2

As is my usual practice to start a new kit on new year's eve, I'll be starting this kit in a few hours. I had originally been planning a 1:32 P-38 Lightning for one of three projects I intend to take to our local event in September of 2020, but have changed my mind, and will be going this route instead. As long as I can avoid the temptation to spend any cash on AM stuff, this should be a breeze.

1ULtTz.jpg

The probable scheme, or a version thereof. I've been wanting to do a Pearl Harbor attacker for quite a while now, and have the Kate and Val, but only in 1:48 scale. Since I cannot afford the Tamiya A6M2 kit at this time, this seemed to just be a natural for me, having received the kit recently as a review sample.

4JaF3l.jpg

17 minutes ago, Alain Gadbois said:

Thanks Kev!

Are you planning to scratch build the wheel wells?  That's the obvious problem I see with the kit.

Alain

Absolutely not. I'm going to try my best to avoid any AM at all, or any extra detailing. It's been quite a long while since I did a slammer, and I'm really looking forward to it.

1 hour ago, Alain Gadbois said:

You know, some of the kits I enjoyed building the most were out of the box commission projects! 

Just can't seem to be able to do this for my own kits, but I completely encourage you to a complete OB with this one and totally have fun with it!

Alain

I certainly intend to do just that. Tonight I concentrated on sub-assemblies. Here's the prop/spinner assembly, and it certainly looks the part, at least to me.

PrToLN.jpg

The first plastic kit I built when I got back into the hobby.  Cockpit is sparse, wings too thick, engraved trenches and rivets but otherwise a fun build.

Whether on purpose or via a mold mistake, it is the only Zero kit in any scale to correctly depict the down-turned wingtips.  The first Zero had a high stall speed.  Not good for carrier operations.  The designers considered various solutions and settled on the brilliant idea of simply twisting the wingtips downward. 

Now, should you decide to forsake your vow of no aftermarket sets for this kit, I have TONS of stuff I'll let you have for a minimal cost!  :evil_laugh:

Despite that the area behind the 'pit is supposed to be metallic blue (at least I think so), I may just paint it black, as there is absolutely no detail at all there,... none. I see no need at all to highlight that absence.

BtEFV1.jpg