Gunze confused....

GSNeil

Hey all - my local HS does not carry Gunze paint, but I heard they may start. I guess there's two separate lines? Mr Paint is a lacquer/solvent based paint, and then there's a Acrylic/water based line called Mr Hobby? And what thinners are used  for each....Thanx...

23 minutes ago, Helmsman said:

They are MrColor (Cnnn) and MrHobby Aqueous(Hnnn).  Both can be thinned with Leveling thinner.

MrPaint is completely different line not related to Gunze.

Ah - thank you for clearing that up - didn't realize Mr Paint was a separate company....

44 minutes ago, nmayhew said:

The Gunze paints are good, but simply not a patch on MRP or MrPaint as they can be called

I'll give them a try - I see Sprue Bros carries the paint line but didn't see any of the thinners. Can they be thinned with DN alcohol or water?  

7 minutes ago, GSNeil said:

I'll give them a try - I see Sprue Bros carries the paint line but didn't see any of the thinners. Can they be thinned with DN alcohol or water?  

No - they're lacquer-based acrylics, so you can dilute them with Mr. Color Thinner (Levelling or not), and the Tamiya lacquer thinner. But, they come pre-thinned for airbrushing, so there's really no need to thin them any further.

Kev

To add what I’ve discovered, regarding the Gunze Aqueous they don’t dry flat, even if they’re called flat they have a semi gloss sheen. 

It may be something I did or didn’t do right but it’s something I noticed no matter how or with what I thinned them.

50 minutes ago, Dave Morrissette said:

So, is this stuff even safe considering there is no info as to what's in it

Its no more or less safe than any lacquer based paint. That is to say, you need very adequate ventilation, breathing equipment or both. An evacuation setup for fumes and particulate can go a long way to keeping yourself safe while spraying. 

Of course applying a bit of common sense when it comes to where you spray goes a ways as well. 

Be careful with Gunze Aqueous paint if you thin it with Mr Levelling Thinner. My experience is that it never quite dries and it is easy to leave tape marks in the surface or finger prints. I don't know if that is my error or not.

The Gunze MrColor versions are bullet proof as far as I am concerned and work perfectly with their levelling thinner.

I've tried MRP and didn't really like it. I think I am the only person on the planet to hold this view.

Also, Gunze paints that I have used are not flat and always have a semi-gloss sheen. I like that.

2 hours ago, nmayhew said:

yup, I'm pretty sure that you are :rolleyes:

Ummm, no he's not. Mr Color is far superior because: 1) it's far cheaper in the USA, 2) doesn't come in bottles that crack and tip over easily, 3) more available in the USA; and most important of all: 4) it's brush paintable, so you have perfect color matches for touchups with the exact paint you airbrushed. MRP is good paint, but it's not the be-all end-all of paints. 

interesting

1) I wonder exactly how much cheaper it is? 

MRP is $7.49 for 30ml at Sprue Bros, which works out as ~$24.97 per 100ml

Gunze Mr Color is $2.99 for 10ml at Sprue works out as $29.99 per 100ml

depends how much you thin it I suppose?

thinning it 50/50, yes MRP will be more expensive, but it depends on whether cost is your driver, or having great paint

2) the glass bottles were switched out some months ago for plastic ones; ironically many users lament the change to these plastic bottles

are they still easier to tip over - yes, but don't be as you would say, such a 'clutz' I think is the word?

3) the mighty Sprue Bros has now seen the light (or the commercial opportunity), and stocks MRP

so you can have MRP at the push of a button courtesy of Sprue Bros' legendary shipping speed

4) if you want to touch up, you can brush paint regular lacquer MRP - i am a crap brush painter, and yet somehow i have achieved this - but personally i would be more likely to airbrush the touch up for better results

if you want to brush paint proper, there is a complete matching acrylic range by MRP

as an aside i didnt realise until recently but there is a large japanese gundam school of modelling that brush paints lacquers... Look up Lincoln Wright.

i grant you if you want one stop shop, then Gunze will be your choice

the biggest thing for me is the paint itself - it SPRAYS LIKE NOTHING ELSE on the market, and is ready mixed so p*ssing about measuring thinners etc

if saving every $ is your priority, then yes there are cheaper paints out there, and Gunze (of which I still have many legacy bottles) would certainly be my 'next on the list'

but if you sprayed at and thought it was sh*t, then fair enough