Painting a whole model one overall color?

Woody V

Okay, I'm stumped. I'm building a model which is almost completely assembled (except for control surfaces, LG and canopy) and now I need to clear coat the entire assembly.

My question is how do you hold it when painting? So far all my feeble brain as been able to come up with is paint the top and bottom separately, but then I'm sure I'll get overspray on whichever side I paint first.

Any tips are greatly appreciated.

I try to get a grip with my index finger and thumb. One placed on the front where spinner would be placed and one in the cockpit space. This can be switched around if you are careful. I also do basically the same with a jet exhaust and cockpit. Another method with a jet is to place a dowel in the exhaust and hold it nose up and slowly rotate it as I paint. 

I normally make up a painting "rig" to paint those types of models. 

This was especially true with my SU-30 which was overall yellow bottom and top. For the SU, I made a rig from wire coat hangers that hung from right above my paint booth (without the top) since it was SO huge I couldn't fit it all in the spray booth.

If I were you Woody, I would find an area that is either already painted, or isnt the exterior color to hold the model up with while painting.

What kind of plane is it? This may go a ways in determining where you can hold it from.

I might suggest making some wire hook (s) and attaching them inside the gear wells, or maybe even using a single hook in the tail wheel well if it's a tail dragger.

Ive even put a hook in  ceiling right above where I wanted to paint the single color model, so I could hang it there and handle it minimally, while still getting to all parts of the model to paint it.

Hardened steel wire, or wire coat hangers seem to work best.

2 hours ago, RLWP said:

With a peg up the jet pipe, or a stick in the propeller hole

You'l find a convenient orifice somewhere

Richard

I do pretty much the same, prop hole, undercarriage wells, tail wheel hole, I usually use a wire cradle, though I have been known to use wooden stirrers.

SPoNnz.jpg

vJwKDB.jpg

fQBlFr.jpg

oKM7N2.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by dennismcc

5 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

What kind of plane is it? This may go a ways in determining where you can hold it from.

I might suggest making some wire hook (s) and attaching them inside the gear wells, or maybe even using a single hook in the tail wheel well if it's a tail dragger.

Ive even put a hook in  ceiling right above where I wanted to paint the single color model, so I could hang it there and handle it minimally, while still getting to all parts of the model to paint it.

It's the Revell FW190 F-8. I started this before the Wildcat and approached it like I paint armor, completely assemble and then paint. Big mistake, and lesson learned.

I like your idea to suspend it from the tail wheel so that's what I'll do. Good suggestion!

4 hours ago, dennismcc said:

I do pretty much the same, prop hole, undercarriage wells, tail wheel hole, I usually use a wire cradle, though I have been known to use wooden stirrers.

Cheers

Dennis

Now that's some creative problem solving! Some great solutions to file away for another build.

5 minutes ago, Archer Fine Transfers said:

Now that's some creative problem solving! Some great solutions to file away for another build.

You do know how we learned these tricks, don't you..

1 hour ago, Archer Fine Transfers said:

Probably the same way I just did.

I'm afraid that's the only way to get experience. If you are really lucky, you'll remember next time

Sometimes I do - unfortunately not always :D

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I found a way that suits me perfectly. My "search for paint that doesn't hate me" journey led me to Mr. Color lacquer and it dries so fast that by the time I've painted top and bottom of one side and refilled my airbrush I just hold it by the already painted wing.

Man, I LOVE THIS PAINT!

Well, after I rigged up my spray booth to suck the fumes out of the room.