Bandai 1/5000 Star Destroyer

spacewolf

Greeting all

As many of you know I was rather excited to hear Bandai was bringing out a 1/5000 Star Destroyer.. well, she just popped out of hyperspace ... and OMG is she sweet !

2T1h6g3.jpg

A big box with LOTS of goodies !!

dRqWfJc.jpg

As is usual for Bandai the detail is just insane...

L969d3D.jpg

You get a sprue of clear parts for those who want to go for extreme accuracy.. Note that the windows are pre molded as this model is designed to be lighted from inside WITHOUT fiber optics !

claSNkq.jpg

AktfExh.jpg

LTe8LTT.jpg

The detail... just jaw dropping... so fine you need a magnifying glass to see some of it !

KCoFWeX.jpg

Bottom side trench detail...

Wb1SYjA.jpg

As I said.. the holes for lights are pre molded...

pMeJfFe.jpg

They taper back to front...

FRXjN3D.jpg

A test run in front of my bench light...

mVrKzUR.jpg

I couldn't wait to see how it sized up with my Jedha city... looks pretty close !!

837AsGZ.jpg

You get a 'to scale' Falcon in both the lighted and unlighted kits ( I got both)

btYH8Hi.jpg

And the Blockade Runner..

BQ3AJdL.jpg

My first beef with the kit is the cheap stand included... certainly we need an aftermarket stand worthy of the kit !

4u18Hiu.jpg

PhTBi3m.jpg

The blockade Runner and falcon are to be displayed from a rod that plugs into the stand under the SD..

HPvDWdI.jpg

Other than that it looks great ! I got both the instruction manuals in the lighted kit. A wealth of info on the filming miniature and how to make an exact copy from the kit. The only difference in the lighted and unlighted version as far as I can see is the battery holder/ switch unit and the lights/ wire bundles and some reflective pre cut stickers. The instructions and everything else is the same.. you could make up your own lighting unit with little problem.. or at least it looks like that so far.

cKoVzNK.jpg

Parts everywhere... here we go !! :yahoo:

QNla1VQ.jpg

The battery box.. 3 AAA batteries..

xTDPvFb.jpg

the light bundles.. basically plug and play.

PUVHnO8.jpg

The instructions show you how to group the wire bundles and the measurements to tape them together.. and give you the pre cut reflective stickers with which to do so.

vIgDvaP.jpg

First parts going on...

FEKNCzJ.jpg

z03qMnp.jpg

this part needed glue.. it was a bit loose.

YkbmavJ.jpg

Front hanger wall....

98fRO0a.jpg

this assembly is 1 cm x 7 mm.... !!!!

niPIlHE.jpg

this went together in about 3 minutes...

MB7XBc2.jpg

I'm jumping in the deep end... more in a few days !!!

On 10/2/2019 at 7:31 PM, Dave Williams said:

I thought the clear side panels and head were only in the lighted boxing.

You are correct .. no clear parts in the unlighted kit. But honestly, I don't think you need them unless you are going for 100 % accuracy with the lights.

Edited by spacewolf

:frantic:Back at it we go.. these kits go together fast !!

They provide you with stickers to use for light blocking.. I did this first one but used black paint for the rest.. too much work !

cgtAlkh.jpg

Yg99lDu.jpg

The main hanger opening..

5MClrkf.jpg

Everything falls together in minutes.. brilliant !!

jUJa4cR.jpg

The nose section.. 3 parts here..

ESo4Dke.jpg

Gluing in the side walls. each side has two parts so I glued everything for strength & rigidity.

e8xkk8U.jpg

tiUlElt.jpg

A quick light check using just my work lamp.. looks good !

H6aRRVC.jpg

These white parts are light block/ guides.. the light from the LEDs reflect along them.. they also cut down any chance of light bleed through the skin of the ship.. brilliant engineering ! The forward panel is covered in the pre cut silver tape.... and with that.. the bottom half of the ship is done !

C15ciaf.jpg

Time for lights.. the instructions guide you to do this..

XwxRsOG.jpg

Everything is drop fit... another light guide goes in place after you place the first lights..

kGpbbYE.jpg

The nose LED and all other lights are held by these molded clips.. just press in and it's done.

PJ2xVnW.jpg

Rear sidewall lights and engine lights in place..

rqt0yhU.jpg

Light check !!

p5SH1Jh.jpg

Hanger lights !!

PRjWTb6.jpg

Sidewalls...

uMSpAZP.jpg

The engine section goes together easy... amazing detail

HZheu1A.jpg

hIPRg77.jpg

The unit press fits into the bottom rear of the ship. I glued every joint here.

Light check !!

V9fBcbs.jpg

Certainly captures the look !!

5hsJLIj.jpg

One can see a bit of light bleed on the left side.. I'll address this in a bit.

I knew I wanted to have the ship 'hover' over the city.. but there is precious little space inside the model to mount a rod receptacle  but I found this happy coincidence ! One of several guide tubes is in the perfect spot. The top tube fits into the bottom so stresses would be shared with both top and bottom hulls.

nCThwmU.jpg

I added support made from scrap sheet...

mkX9gLY.jpg

Then drilled a hole through the outer skin for a stainless steel rod. Using the kits as it comes you need the support.. it's a heavy beast !

la22hSd.jpg

With that little issue decided, the top hull went on.

UW7E13M.jpg

Checking for light bleed. NOTHING !! :yahoo: Not a bit through the hull or skin at any point. The lights look good from an initial look.. Very convincing !

08G5ElK.jpg

However.. on closer inspection there were slight gaps at the top of the side walls.. nothing bad but needing extra work. The top hull was just press fit on so no glue has been used yet. We will address this soon.

QCfHPeM.jpg

ioddRc0.jpg

iui6Bch.jpg

I'm super impress with this new kit, however I have the impression it has been over engineered and perhaps even rushed or too ambitious.. The fit is good but could be better based on building their earlier kits. This is NOT you typical 'fall together' Bandai kit.. but it is stunning none the less.

More in a bit !!

It looks like a great kit and it really captures the look of the "real" ship from the movies...but why did they have to make it so small! 

I wish all of these Bandai Star Wars kits were presented in larger scales. 

Has Bandai mentioned doing a really big Star Destroyer?  Even the Zvezda kit is too small.

7 hours ago, Shawn M said:

I was thinking that to Dave, paint before assembly?

Yeah, I’m thinking that’s the way to go, but the other issue is that the pinholes are so tiny that they risk being filled by droplets of paint or primer, so I think you have to go with a very fine paint.