Best kit for F-14D and F-4S

USMC Herc

21 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

If you get the Revell RF-4C or RF-4E kits, they will come with the hard wing.  Their F-4E and F-4G boxings are slatted wing.

Dave,

Thanks for the great information.

Greg

Edited by 32scalelover

On 9/19/2019 at 3:43 PM, Mel said:

I don't know if I understood correctly ... in a nutshell ..., Zoukei Mura has planned in the future a F4 Phantom at 1:32 scale?

IF I could clarify, by saying "Have planned" you used past tense and the 1/32 scale ZM Phantom project is a planned, future product.  Not trying to be critical of your word selection but what you wrote was not what I wrote, so I wanted to clarify again my remarks.

As I have said before,  ZM is planning to do 1/32 scale F-4's once the 1/48 line is complete.  The 1/48 plan is to release all of the Phantoms sub types with the missing subtype being the F-4B.    GTR is working a conversion set now for the ZM-f-4J kit to make a B or N type F-4 since a 100% plastic kit is not planned by ZM.   I have tried to convince them that they should offer one but so far have not succeeded in changing their minds.  They do plan new kits of the Recess after the long nose Phantoms are done.    UK specific Phantoms may also be done but the issue is that they are entirely different from all other sub types...which means starting from scratch.  Remember  the F-4K/M's look the same but the Spey engine made for what was essentially clean  sheet redesign of the Phantom, similar to the  F/A-18 legacy vs Super Hornet.  Where E's and F's have nothing in common with the A-D except the designation and were made by Boeing/ MDD in St Louis.  

As for the 1/32 Recce resin sets to convert  Tamiya C/D kit into a RECCE, the Avionix set is full of errors...from camera layout to profile to cross-section to cockpit layout.   Using the Revell nose from their new tool Recce kit is a better starting point as Thierry suggests, but it too, has it'sown set of inaccuracies to deal with.   I am not going to get into this issues here a Thierry and others have posted them many time, just do your home work here and on other sites as those answers take up pages.  Needless to say that with study and careful planning you can make a nice result.  

Fun Fun Fun!!!!!!!

The Zoukei Mura F-4 canopy profile is not quite right in plan view, having sides which are almost parallel instead of bulging out in the middle. I hope they fix this as it would be very noticeable in 1/32 scale.

The BB/Avionix resin nose was based on the second generation Revell parts, with the slightly too pointy nose. It's overly stuffed with camera lenses in a solid casting, whereas the Revell kit parts offer a hollow nose with cameras and camera mounts — not fantastically detailed, but not at all bad. The BB/Avionix set has a poor pilot IP coaming piece that's smooth, and no NLG front door for an RF-4C/E. 

If Z-M release a quality 1/32 RF-4C/E they would be doing the subject the considerable overdue respect it deserves. Here's hoping!

Tony 

I wouldnt say its just ZM..its every F-4 that has ever been released has not got the canopy area correct.

That crazy Japanese modeller whos name eludes right now did some incredible work proving that everyone has got it wrong.

His work was incredible. He also did an incredble job on a Trumpeter 105 rebuilding the canopy section to get the true shape and his finished kit was simply incredible.

It shows up just how bad the 105 situation is in every scale.

Ill dig his link out i have it somewhere along with piles of his images.

Rivet counters need only apply..lol

start here and crank up your translation site

http://soyuyo.main.jp/f4/f4-2.html#ej

Edited by Darren Howie

On 9/22/2019 at 3:44 AM, ghatherly said:

IF I could clarify, by saying "Have planned" you used past tense and the 1/32 scale ZM Phantom project is a planned, future product.  Not trying to be critical of your word selection but what you wrote was not what I wrote, so I wanted to clarify again my remarks.

As I have said before,  ZM is planning to do 1/32 scale F-4's once the 1/48 line is complete.  The 1/48 plan is to release all of the Phantoms sub types with the missing subtype being the F-4B.    GTR is working a conversion set now for the ZM-f-4J kit to make a B or N type F-4 since a 100% plastic kit is not planned by ZM.   I have tried to convince them that they should offer one but so far have not succeeded in changing their minds.  They do plan new kits of the Recess after the long nose Phantoms are done.    UK specific Phantoms may also be done but the issue is that they are entirely different from all other sub types...which means starting from scratch.  Remember  the F-4K/M's look the same but the Spey engine made for what was essentially clean  sheet redesign of the Phantom, similar to the  F/A-18 legacy vs Super Hornet.  Where E's and F's have nothing in common with the A-D except the designation and were made by Boeing/ MDD in St Louis.  

As for the 1/32 Recce resin sets to convert  Tamiya C/D kit into a RECCE, the Avionix set is full of errors...from camera layout to profile to cross-section to cockpit layout.   Using the Revell nose from their new tool Recce kit is a better starting point as Thierry suggests, but it too, has it'sown set of inaccuracies to deal with.   I am not going to get into this issues here a Thierry and others have posted them many time, just do your home work here and on other sites as those answers take up pages.  Needless to say that with study and careful planning you can make a nice result.  

Fun Fun Fun!!!!!!!

They are small grammar mistakes, my question was whether ZM plans to launch a phantom at 1:32 scale, as for the resin kits, I will buy the intakes of GTresin or Dmold, most likely those of Gtresin (I have been told that both are good)

On 8/10/2019 at 3:37 PM, Dave Williams said:

and the wing sweep bladders are nasty vinyl.

:wicked:

1 hour ago, Darren Howie said:

start here and crank up your translation site

http://soyuyo.main.jp/f4/f4-2.html#ej

English version(S):

Page 1: http://soyuyo.main.jp/f4/f4e-1.html#bottom

Page 2 (Darren's link): http://soyuyo.main.jp/f4/f4e-2.html

:beer:

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, wunwinglow said:

We need an FGR2 before any of those.... 

Absolutely, though an RF-4C/E is fairly high up on my wish list after an FG.1 / F-4K.

A thick wing RF-4B would fall within the RF-4C/E bracket.

Also agree with Darren: a really good all-new F-105 Thud with the correct canopy & nose profile would be great too. After sixteen years laying idle in its box, I'm going to say "stuff the cold mould lines" on the Trumpeter F-105G canopy hoods and attempt to build the beast before next Spring. 

Tony