Beaufighter patterns...

Derek B

Hi Guys,

Working (hard) on the last couple of patterns for other people at the moment, then I can start on my own patterns...Namely the F4U-1 Corsair and Beaufighter patterns. I have got quite a list of items for both of them to release, in fact, I have just recently prepared all my reference material for both of these aircraft types, ready for when I recommence work on them - I shall keep you all informed of any progress.

Cheers

Derek

SHeesh Derek looks great.....would be happy to have a set of blank shells and a floor!!!!! Good Luck!!

THOR

Hi Thor - thanks for the comments. My game plan (at the moment) is to produce this set in two basic formats. The first is a full internal 'shell' and floor - without the many internal equipment and detail fittings) as a basic interior. The second is just the cockpit and observer's/Gunner's areas with full interior equipment and details (I may sell a complete set of equipment and interior details to complement the full shell and floor as a seperate item?). This is to keep the costs down for the modeller, and provide a level of choice as well for individual preferences.

Regards

Derek

• 5 months later...
Derek, have we any news regarding this baby?

Hello Mike,

This pattern is never far from my mind (or work bench). Once I have completed the P-40F/L nose (which is nearing completion) I shall be working on this pattern again (I have a couple of smaller scale patterns to make, but they shall not hinder my pattern work overly).

Thanks for asking.

Cheers

Derek

Derek, I'm reading "Night Fighter" by CF Rawnsley, the radar operator for P/O Cunningham. A lively read, and goes into quite a bit about flying ops in the Beaufighter.

In between episodes of Dads Army......

Derek, I'm reading "Night Fighter" by CF Rawnsley, the radar operator for P/O Cunningham. A lively read, and goes into quite a bit about flying ops in the Beaufighter.

In between episodes of Dads Army......

:)

Derek

• 1 year later...

As always, this build is not too far from the back of my mind. A comment Tony T made in another forum post made me stop and think a little...I am now considering installing my interior detail shell into the fuselage permanently and reworking the whole fuselage as an upgrade replacement for the kit fuselage?

I need to get the 'OK' from the casters as to whether or not they can actually cast somthing this large, in which case, if I get a 'yes' from them, then it's game on! (I can't reverse any work carried out on the master patterns once I start down this route).

Derek

Before you go that route Derek, I would perhaps recommend casting the interior shell blanks and floor first, and integrate your castings into the fuselage halves for final modification. The reason for this is two-fold; first, I for one would not purchase entire fuselage halves, as I think that the Revell kit is fairly good in outline. A few tweaks here and there. Second, as you said, once you start down that path, you cannot go back . I would go your original route, and produce a blank shell and floor set, where some of us can add our own details, and produce a detailed set of parts for those who do not scratchbuild. Atleast with the blank shells, you can pretty well cover all of the various marks. You could then produce detail sets based on the mark of aircraft someone might be building....

Also, this would keep costs down, not only for you, but also the consumers....

Food for thought. But in my humble opinion casting entire fuselage halves is not the way to go-

FWIW-

THOR :ninja:

Before you go that route Derek, I would perhaps recommend casting the interior shell blanks and floor first, and integrate your castings into the fuselage halves for final modification. The reason for this is two-fold; first, I for one would not purchase entire fuselage halves, as I think that the Revell kit is fairly good in outline. A few tweaks here and there. Second, as you said, once you start down that path, you cannot go back . I would go your original route, and produce a blank shell and floor set, where some of us can add our own details, and produce a detailed set of parts for those who do not scratchbuild. Atleast with the blank shells, you can pretty well cover all of the various marks. You could then produce detail sets based on the mark of aircraft someone might be building....

Also, this would keep costs down, not only for you, but also the consumers....

Food for thought. But in my humble opinion casting entire fuselage halves is not the way to go-

FWIW-

THOR :ninja:

Thank you Thor - it is not too late, so I can still continue on my original course if necessary. My thoughts were the same as yours, then I considered whether or not modellers want to go down the shell route or would prefer to have a complete fuselage? This is one reason why I am putting the idea forward to elicit feedback from potential customers.

As always, sound advice...but nothing is yet set in stone!

Thanks

Derek