Beaufighter patterns...

Derek B

Derek,

The Beau is looking great!! When you decide to do something for the Mossie let me know as I'm collecting info and have quite a bit sitting on my shelves.

I'd like to make masters for a detail set for cockpit of the fighter Mossies as no one has yet made a correct one (usual mistake is to fit the bomber style radios), but am afraid I just don't have the skills for it.

Keep on modelling as you , Brian C and too many others to mention, on this site are my inspiration to continue modelling and try to improve my skills.

Bob A ;)

Thanks Guys,

I'm half way through planking the starboard side of the fuselage at present. If I can sucessfully fill and sand them, the fuselage shells should come out quite well :unsure: .

Kent: If your friend could produce better scans for me (and it is not too much of an inconvenience for him), then I would be very grateful (these drawings, once scaled to the right size, are absolutely invaluable to me at this stage, as they fix the positions of all of the internal detail features). I have taken some measurements fron the Duxford Beaufighter, and they compare favourably with your drawings when factored for scale...so they are accurate.

Bob: Thank you for the kind words. It is looking more and more like I shall have to tackle the Mosquito after the Beaufighter :o . It is nice to know that you have some reference material...I'm sure that it will be of use. I still have to climb this Beaufighter mountain first (sort of an Everest for me), so my head is full of Beaufighter at present. Once completed, I can then address the Mosquito mountain (sort of K-2 :lol:) next. I would like to get my hands on a couple of Revell kits (new or scrapped) if possible, so that like the Beaufighter, I can 'size the job up' and use them as pattern references.

Cheers

Derek

• 6 months later...

Derek-

I like the approach you have taken to conquer the interior. I do have some querries, though, as I am in the process of building this kit as well. First, I am curious to know how you made the floor insert- It looks to be a form fitted piece of thick material. Second- what references are you using? I am at about the same stage as you, and have found the location of detailed drawings, difficult at best. However, I am not trying to produce masters for a resin set, but I am trying to make a very accurate interior.

Looks great so far. Please keep us informed...........

THOR :)

Hi Thor,

To be honest, there is bu**er all information with regards to the floor, or much of the interior of the Beaufighters. Even most cutaway drawings show little, or no floor detail at all. The rest of the interior is similar (most drawings do not show most of the equipment fit). I am trying very hard to find information concerning the early drum fed Hispano cannon storage and equipment fit.

The best way to describe the Beaufighter floor is imagine the aircraft built like a ship. Two long keel members run down either side of the aircraft centre line at floor level, from nose to the rear fuselage transport joint. This forms a box section keel. The floor is built onto this. The width between these keel members is the aircrew access hatch width. Outside of these keel members lie the four Hispano cannons (two either side). Inside the fuselage, going aft between the wing rear spar and the observers seat position, either side of these keel members are completely open (no floor), other than for a dimond, or 'X' shaped plywood paneling between them. This is to allow access to the cannons from inside the fuselage. The plywood flooring extends from the rear spar to the start of the rear aircrew access hatch. It is all the more complex when you realise that there were numerous internal equipment and cockpit fits for different marks of Beaufighter, and two different types of cannon feed and ammunition stowage!

I had to go to Duxford to find this out on the full size Beaufighter, as like you, I also wasn't sure what should be there. The best source of information to assist you would be the SAM Datafile and JP Press books on the Beaufighter...they have very useful pictures and diagrams. I shall try to post some pictures of both my floor, when it is advanced enough, and the actual Beaufighter floor in the next couple of weeks or so. Good luck with your detailing.

Regards

Derek

Notice the total lack of floor either side of the fuselage keel/wooden panneling (you can see the hangar floor here). Normally, there would be two Hispano 20mm cannons installed here, plus the aircraft fuselage underside cannon access hatches. This is the starborad side, looking aft.

post-596-1153754333.jpg

Yeah, this is the same basic floor for all marks of Beaufighter (although the target towing versions are heavily modified). Dont forget, you are only seeing a small portion of the floor...there is a front mainplane spar, with the front crew hatch in front of the rear spar, then a cockpit section in front of that. Behind the observer's/gunner's seat is the rear aircrew hatch, oxy bottle tray, and rear fuselage structure, all the way back to the tail wheel. Oh, and a quick word of warning about the diagrams of the Hispano cannon ammunition fits in the SAM Datafile - the early drum feed caption is on the later belt feed box ammunition diagram, and vice-versa (the JP CZ book has the same diagrams, with the correct captions below the correct diagrams).

Derek

is this a basic interior for all beaufighters ro just the 21? ;) :unsure:

hacker :) B)

:)-->

QUOTE(derek B @ Jul 24 2006, 08:31 PM) 81696[/snapback]

Yeah, this is the same basic floor for all marks of Beaufighter (although the target towing versions are heavily modified). Dont forget, you are only seeing a small portion of the floor...there is a front mainplane spar, with the front crew hatch in front of the rear spar, then a cockpit section in front of that. Behind the observer's/gunner's seat is the rear aircrew hatch, oxy bottle tray, and rear fuselage structure, all the way back to the tail wheel.

Derek

Hmmmm ;) looks like a job for superman but seeing that he aint here l will take up the chanllage and do a full interior when l get to my beaufighter. Lots of interesting detail in those pics of yours thanks for sharing.

hacker :unsure: B)

Thanks Hack...I have many more pictures. The fuselage interior of the Duxford aircraft is not 100% complete yet, in terms of all of the interior equipment fit, but it is almost there. Now you can begin to appreciate why it is taking me a long time to get the fuselage interior detail set completed...there is a lot to do, even on a basic level. I am currently working on the areas you can see in the photographs.

Cheers

Derek

"Derek

Hmmmm ;) looks like a job for superman but seeing that he aint here l will take up the chanllage and do a full interior when l get to my beaufighter. Lots of interesting detail in those pics of yours thanks for sharing.

hacker :unsure: :)"

Derek,

Graet detail shots. Thanks for sharing. The Beau is a real pretty airplane and one I wouldnt mind building someday. again, thanks for sharing such great shots. Are there others? Perhaps a feature article?

Hope all is well,

Geoff