AMS Resin P-47M/N Props and Wheels

LSP_Kevin

Very nice product...and review for that matter!  I'm gonna get me a set or two of those props.  But what to do with the wheels?  The P-47M didn't use 8-spoke wheels, only the P-47N used them.  Maybe I'll just hang onto them in the event Hasegawa releases a 1/32 P-47N.  I won't build the Trumpeter N, it's just too busy for me and that canopy/windscreen makes me shudder.

Edited by Juggernut

On 5/28/2019 at 1:51 PM, Juggernut said:

Very nice product...and review for that matter!  I'm gonna get me a set or two of those props.  But what to do with the wheels?  The P-47M didn't use 8-spoke wheels, only the P-47N used them.  Maybe I'll just hang onto them in the event Hasegawa releases a 1/32 P-47N.  I won't build the Trumpeter N, it's just too busy for me and that canopy/windscreen makes me shudder.

You can get the wheels separate from the props. I just put them together for the review.

On 5/28/2019 at 4:51 PM, Juggernut said:

I won't build the Trumpeter N, it's just too busy for me and that canopy/windscreen makes me shudder.

The extra canopy from the Hasegawa kit will go on the Trumpeter with very little fuss.  A  bit of plastic card to fill the gap at the front, and some thin strip to shim a couple little places around the rear sides of the windscreen is pretty much all it takes, after trimming a small amount from the front of the locating tabs on the windscreen to clear the instrument panel.  Only catch is that either the Hase or the Trumpy will have a closed canopy, if that matters to you.  I've done it twice now, once on a Trumpy D-30 that I built as an "M", and on an "N" that I'm currently working on.  In all honesty, the fitting of the Hase glass was much less hassle than dealing with the gun bay doors, all the invisible internal stuff that no one will ever see but sort of needs to be there to hold other things in place, or the miserable lack of positive engine attachments.

On 5/28/2019 at 1:51 PM, Juggernut said:

The P-47M didn't use 8-spoke wheels, only the P-47N used them.  

Do we know that for sure? I know the 8-spoke wheels came out with the P-47N, but were they also available for the D and M? There are pics of restored P-47D aircraft with the 8-spoke so sounds like they fit, but can't find definitive wartime pics. Many had smooth covers, too. Note, the True Details 8-spoke wheels are listed as for the D version, although you can't really say how accurate that is since it also has post-war tires on them. I can't find in my ref's any real mention of the wheels other than saying they changed with the N, but they don't say whether they appeared on late other P-47's, too. 

Every wartime photo of P-47M's where I can see the wheels, all have the six-spoke wheels.  Most, if not all 47N's went to the Pacific so I would think all the eight-spoke spares went there as well.  

After looking at the Republic P-47 landing gear blueprint for late model P-47's, there is no specific callout for one wheel vs. another on field of the drawing.  All it says is that P-47 aircraft use a Bendix #57405 wheel (34 x 9.9).  The IPC for the P-47 says something entirely different, calling for a Goodyear 530660.  I'm not sure if this is a wheel or a tire.  I'm still digging and cannot yet find out why there is no evidence of P-47M aircraft with 8-spoke wheels aside from what I said above.  I'm still digging on this one....

Edited by Juggernut
Added content

Here is what the engineering drawings say:

89L41000 MLG installation drawing effective all P-47's including P-47M.  34 x 9.0 tire with Bendix wheels and brakes.  These must be the 6-spoke wheels.

96L41000 MLG installation drawing effective P-47N-1 and on.  34 x 9.9 tire with Goodyear wheels and brakes.  These must be the 8-spoke wheels

IPC is in agreement.  I suspect there was no interchangability due to different size brakes?

I did not realize the N model had wider tires. Wider gear I knew about.   It appears to me though that the 8-spoke wheel is all that is available today.  All today's P-47 resto's seem to have it far as I can tell.

Edited by JayW

1 hour ago, JayW said:

Here is what the engineering drawings say:

89L41000 MLG installation drawing effective all P-47's including P-47M.  34 x 9.0 tire with Bendix wheels and brakes.  These must be the 6-spoke wheels.

96L41000 MLG installation drawing effective P-47N-1 and on.  34 x 9.9 tire with Goodyear wheels and brakes.  These must be the 8-spoke wheels

IPC is in agreement.  I suspect there was no interchangability due to different size brakes?

I did not realize the N model had wider tires. Wider gear I knew about.   It appears to me though that the 8-spoke wheel is all that is available today.  All today's P-47 resto's seem to have it far as I can tell.

Nice...I used Air Corps Library and only found the 89L41000 print.... I also misinterpreted the effectivity... "up TO P-47N-1-RE.

On 5/30/2019 at 5:57 PM, Juggernut said:

Nice...I used Air Corps Library and only found the 89L41000 print.... I also misinterpreted the effectivity... "up TO P-47N-1-RE.

Juggernut - the Aircorplibrary Republic drawing file for the P-47 is just awesome.  Just about every drawing is there, and readable.  I love it.  I used it extensively for my 1/18 P-47 build, recently finished if you want to peruse the "ready for inspection" site.

One thing Republic was very good about was keeping airplane effectivities up to date on their drawings.  The true source is the "used on" drawing, not the next higher assembly block on the drawing in question.  But seldom have I seen discrepancies on the P-47 drawings, and none here.  

Drawing 89L41000 (Installation Landing Gear) has five different next higher assemblies (NHA's) - 89X1000 through 93X10200 - from P-47B to P-47M.  All these drawings are the top drawings for the model - "Airplane General Assembly - 3 View".  And 93X10200 covers P-47D-25 through P-47M (i.e. the bubbletops).  89L41000 also has a general note on it just to the left of the bill of material which states "See 96L41000 for later P-47 models....", whihc is of course the N-model configuration.  Republic was really good about providing superceding configuration information on drawings, and also going the other way sometimes.  

BTW, the NHA for P-47N landing gear drawing 96L41000 is 96C22000 wing panel assembly complete - strangely!  It could be that the manufacturing process was rearranged for the P-47N.  I can tell the P-47 drawing system tends to be "design as built", so shows assemblies and sub-assemblies much like they would have been built up in the factory setting.  Perhaps LG was installed further up the chain for P-47N....

Edited by JayW