1/32 F-4J Phantom (Complete)

gmctaggart

Thanks Everyone. Barry, fantastic work so far and hopefully you are able to keep going. It would be great to see completed. Just a quick update as it has been awhile. Most of the build is done with exception of the main wheel wells, antennas and a few odds and ends.  am hoping to have this finished in the next week or so, so I can start getting some paint down. This is the only photo I have before my phone died so more to come. 

21i2DA.jpg

Thanks again for following.

Gord

I seem to be advancing a number of assemblies at the same time. The focus is still on finishing the main gear bays in the next few days. However I am almost complete with the Sparrow and Sidewinders with a few more decals, and a bit of paint to wrap these guys up.

6wIQMq.jpg

The gear itself is also being advanced with the nose gear almost there. I still need to clean up and smooth the transition between the metal leg and the plastic extension.

6WYP7J.jpg

Nw1SUW.jpg

The main gear legs are also advancing with the major assembly done and now I need to add some of the wires.

mv74IE.jpg

I have started to prep the aircraft putting on a black base prime coat. I had some good success using Ralph Reise's technique and also shown by Gary of the Modelling News on my Skyraider and thought I would do it again. Definitely more to come.

Gord

Edited by gmctaggart

Thanks for the comments all. Progress has slowed down a bit, but I am very close to shifting to major paint work. However, as a follow up I have some additional picks the nose leg and the Aim 7s' and Aim 9's. The nose gear is being prepped for a spray of Chrome which will be followed up by touch ups and detailing. I am hoping by next weekend to have the parts all built and focus on paint.

heNvmr.jpg

5XXYJt.jpg

Gord

Thanks Haha and MARU5137. Moment seems to be building as the home stretch nears. A few more photos of the nose gear.

XZky0k.jpg

Here are the current shots of the A/C with the black base. Looking pretty slick so far.

vajs1P.jpg

rh0dkv.jpg

32AJKL.jpg

Thanks again for everyones support. I guess the question is whether to do the exhaust area or the body of the Aircraft first.

Gord

Yes Hakan, one almost feels like doing the Playboy bunny F4. Lothar, thanks for your kind words. I have dry fitted the cans and they look good and don't seem to be too small. I won't know for sure until its all done. Until then here are the main landing gear for your viewing pleasure. Still a little touch up needed but these are basically done.

LYfgde.jpg

pwdRI5.jpg

Thanks

Gord

Edited by gmctaggart

Thanks again everyone. Simon, I hope you don't mind me addressing your question here so that others can see the answer. His questions was ' With your F-4, what thickness shim did you use for the outer wing angle? I can see you've shimmed it but not by how much!'. I used .02" for the shim and this is applied to the upper surface only. In addition the shim needs to taper towards the trailing edge so that it meets up properly. The issue with the shim however is that creates more gap around the 'comb' or the interlocking area on the underside of the wing. You will need to fill or adjust this so that it looks right. The angle of the outer wing is better and is closer to the actual angle.

I have also advance the painting of the Aircraft by applying an intermediate blue randomly across the fuselage and highlighting some panels and framing.

3RfSEh.jpg

pPtdak.jpg

This followed by a desert yellow again highlighting some panels but generally kept random.

0vdcDX.jpg

Hk32nR.jpg

kWOp4s.jpg

DrB46L.jpg

And finally a first pass of Insignia White. I have intentionally left the back portion darkened as this seems to be a feature you can see when the Phantom is on its back.

tJLjcI.jpg

19zq8h.jpg

A quick business trip this week and then back to detailing and a final pass of the white to finish this up.. Thanks again for reading

Gord

A bit more layering now. Added some light deck tan, white and sky gray in selective areas. Slowly layering and creating depth while keeping sharp recessed lines. 

439V5g.jpg

HHycnY.jpg

hpT7BL.jpg

And then too bring it together another pass of insignia white. After applying I think I should have thinned it more as it seemed wipe out a bit of the colouration from the other steps. I may added a bit more colour back in but for the most part, the underside is complete. I only had the one shot as my camera battery died before I could take more.

qMdCNx.jpg

Again thanks for reading and your kind words.

Gord

• 2 weeks later...

Getting to the wire now so I am hoping to get some decent progress in during the next week or so. I have shifted attention to the upper surface applied a coat of the gull gray. This is lightly sprayed to keep the rivet and panel line details while building up colour. There is still good modulation and the base colour is giving it a worn look. My only concern is with the gray that I am using as it is look quite warm. I used the Model master match for gull gray, however when I look at photos, of the phantom is looking a lot cooler in tone. Not sure if this is a photo issue or a repaint of old aircraft. I am hoping I can get some feedback on what others thought was a good match for this colour. I am contemplating an overspray of Tamiya Sky gray lighten with white. 

JoTsug.jpg

YWm7Xb.jpg

ThshKw.jpg

rs10Wr.jpg2eQWvC.jpg

Please add your 2 cents.

Gord