BX 32nd Albatross D.III

Guest LSP_Jay L

ooohhhh...luvley chubley

It sure looks nice mate. Interesting and colourful. You can really see the shading differences in the metal and on the top wing. Any thoughts of how one would weather wood using your technique? Chipping I get...looks good, but how does one do the wood? I've got no idea...

Could you also describe a little how you went about the rigging...post assembly. Most of the WW1 kits I have call for wires to be added inside fuselage before assembly but it makes all the painting, sanding etc so much harder.

Ye gads...I notice the engine has cross flow heads. Bah...this technology only became commonly manufactured in Aussie vehicles in about 1984...which is by my maths...a long way since WW1. Bit of technology lag down here me thinks...

Nice build Jay.

PS : whats next..a F14 perhaps... :D )

Jay that is a lovely paitjob. thanks for the extra pics. I love your rendering of the subject. Your wood finish is really really nice and so is the rest of the paintwork. lovely belnding of colours and fading. The final effect is really terrific. Why do you have a problem with the wings? Whatevet the weight of the upper wings, this should have no effect on the lower ones.

Awesome work Jay. The wood technique really proved itself a worthwhile contender. Your rigging is good and the finish is up to your usual publication standards.

I suggest matchstick or toothpic supports for the lower wing until you figure out a permanent sollution....perhaps you should put this into a mini diorame where one wing is supported by a resin figure leaning against it (reverse support illusion) and on the other a rigger can be busy repairing battle damage on the wing and his stepladder can support that wing.

The long way is of course opening the top or bottom wings and inserting steel or alu support beam. But not too heavy or this repeats with the landing gear :) You can also always operate on the fuselage and only strengthen the link beam between the bottom wings...I dunno how the damage is behaving so I cant say....

interesting problem non the less. Good luck!

Guest LSP_Jay L

PS : whats next..a F14 perhaps... :D )

:) F-14?!! Yer 'avin a bubble bath int ya?! No way. I'd fall asleep reading the instructions! ;) :lol: The only modern jets I like have roundels or stars. oh and a phantom, but a British one!

I think finishing the George is my first next project then I think there is some talk of a Zero build...

Matt;

The rigging was pretty easy when using the Eduard 48th wire stretchers. they simply get glued to the finished surface, then thread the Lycra thread through the eyelet and repeat on the other side. It took about 5 or so hours to do, but that was slowly and carefully done as it was my first go at it.

I've been giving alot of thought to weathering the wood and I think the best way to do it would be in either washes of Siennas or Umbers, or alternatively with weathering pigments. I'll have to do some more experimentation with that one though...

Brian;

what's annoying me about the lower wings is that the anhedral in increasing day to day. The weight of the upper wing is slowly pushing the outsides down, and one of the guys at my model club last night said it first thing. Of course I mumbled "*******" under my breath as he could have said "nice paint job" or something first. Of course the really annoying part was that I should have seen it coming! Thanks for the compliments on the paintwork mate!

Interesting thought's on the repair of the sag on the wing Piet, and I think that all would have an effective outcome. I'll see how the problem goes, as the final photosession will be with MAI soon, but if it passes for that I will be happy and leave it, as you mention with the undercarriage, it will be a tricky job, with the potential for disaster! :lol:

Thanks again guys!

Cheers,

Jay

Guest LSP_Jay L
Simply brilliant, Jay. I love it.

I'm not normally into biplanes, but this build has really got my wheels turning. Well done.

Sincerely,

John

Hi John;

I'm glad you find it inspiring. Hopefully I'll win the Tony you have on auction and I can be inspired by you!! :rolleyes:

Stef and Erwin, many thanks for the kind words!

Cheers guys,

Jay

Simply brilliant, Jay. I love it.

I'm not normally into biplanes, but this build has really got my wheels turning. Well done.

Sincerely,

John

Hi John;

I'm glad you find it inspiring. Hopefully I'll win the Tony you have on auction and I can be inspired by you!! :rolleyes:

Stef and Erwin, many thanks for the kind words!

Cheers guys,

Jay

LOL!

I hope you do too, Jay. Best of luck!

Guest LSP_Jay L

K, Ole, and John;

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the comments.

I know everyone will agree with me when I say that LSP is truly a fantastic place for many reasons. I get so much inspiration from the comments and encouragement I get from everyone as I build and post, and also I get just as much inspiration from the fantastic work I see going on here.

Cheers guys,

Jay

Looks great, Jay!!! Makes me want to pull out one of my WWI machines!

Weird about the lower wing! Unless the upper wing was a bit warped and you had to lift it up with the braces off the lower wing, it shouldn't be putting too much weight off the bottom wing. The upper wing should cantilever off the fuselage and help support it, especially with the help of the rigging!

Very curious to me, especially since I have the same kit on order now! At least I have been warned! :rolleyes: