Azgaron

P-38J Lightning - Revell 1/32

All "bottoms" done.

46202123445_7d1b495614_b.jpg

Just the actuators and lids left to finish.

Thinking a bit on how to handle the main wells.

46202123515_34e3c2ae07_b.jpg

Adding stuff to an empty wheel bay would have been easier. Now I need to remove or hide what Revell have done and make new and hopefully better looking plumbing.

The alternative is to just add a few cables and paint the rest as it is.

I think the hinges need some attention as well. Either thinning them down, or make something a bit more like the real thing (if I can). :)

A few other things I need to figure is loadout for D-day, compressibility dive flaps, fixed pylons, landing light position.

Håkan

I managed to figure out that the compressiblity flaps appeared on the J version and that L flew during D-day.

The rockets on the "christmas tree" was introduced with the L version, but I'm not sure if they where used during the invasion.

Håkan

5 hours ago, Azgaron said:

I managed to figure out that the compressiblity flaps appeared on the J version and that L flew during D-day.

The rockets on the "christmas tree" was introduced with the L version, but I'm not sure if they where used during the invasion.

Håkan

Yes, the dive flaps became standard equipment starting with the J-25 models. As for rockets, I do not know if they were specifically used on D-Day itself, but they were most certainly used for a lot of ground attack missions in the latter half of the war in both theaters until the end of the war. You'd have to check on specific units to see if they used them, though.