The Swamp Ghost - B-17E 41-2446

ChuckD

Hi, everyone!  Major progress today.  You may have noticed that I ordered two different sizes of stencils.  This was to match the two different decal sizes provided (and called for) with the kit.  Unfortunately, period photos indicate that the kit instructions are wrong in calling for a smaller insignia on the wing and a larger insignia on the waist.  The good news is that stencils are reusable, so I was in business either way. 

Here they are after the raw application.  I have a hard time judging opacity with everything else around the stencil masked off, so I tend to paint the stencil very opaque. 

oQf8Bui.jpg

Uy7yQ16.jpg

tg0XghN.jpg

ozqfZDu.jpg

As you can see, the insignias stand out a bit too much.  So I went back over each insignia with it's underlying base color to help blend them in some.  Really happy with the results.

d38vU5A.jpg

gR3hRDM.jpg

inVc4MZ.jpg

hc4h2AT.jpg

At this point, the wings are done save for weathering.

4NitVyi.jpg

CFy900k.jpg

I scratched up some basic brake lines, dirtied up the landing gear with a wash, and glued them in place.  Tomorrow I'll dust the tires with pigments as part of the weathering process.

bVROcLS.jpg

The belly.  Turret and sighting blister are still dry fit.  They'll probably be some of the last things that actually get attached.  Unfortunately, where they're situated is exactly where the fuselage wants to rest when it's sitting right side up, so I'll hold off on attaching them.

Kob4FJ7.jpg

Tomorrow is a round of light weathering and dusting w/pigments.  If I can finish that tomorrow, then she's done.  If not, it'll be this week!  Wheeeee!

Edited by Gewehr 43