Imperial Tie Fighters - Dual Build - FINISHED!

Out2gtcha

4 hours ago, CATCplSlade said:

Hard to believe this is the same company that made all that 1/48 armor I built in the 70's.

I've still got my Bandai Jeep kit (still shrink-wrapped), and from what I recall hearing, is a pretty decent little kit.

4 minutes ago, CATCplSlade said:

I know the Tantive IV would be a bit big in 1/72

It would be a bit big, but still cool. I know you can pick up a 1/2700 scale Tantive IV to match the ZVEZDA 1/2700 scale Star Destroyer, which actually looks pretty well done for being so small.....

cover_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=1516996070

Im actually looking at picking up a ZVEZDA kit w/the full LEDs and picking up the upgrade set to go with it that has 

https://www.falcon3dparts.com/collections/revell-zvezda-1-2700-imperial-star-destroyer-upgrades/products/upgrade-set-for-zvezda-revell-1-2700-imperial-class-star-destroyer

Two shield generators

Three main engine bells

Four secondary engine bells

Garbage chute

1/2700 Millennium Falcon model

Tad pricey for it, but its a hobby that is meant to be enjoyed, and there are plenty of other worse things to spend money on. 

5 minutes ago, CATCplSlade said:

...... I do hope they can do Slave 1 to match the others. Didn't Fine Molds do it in '72?

Me TOO!   FM or someone did do a 72nd S1 but I cant find hide nor hare of one for sale, and since the only Bandai S1 is in 1/144th it seems out of place and tiny to me, where Id love to have one to match in scale all the rest of the stuff (Star Destroyer being the exception of course)

On 11/5/2018 at 4:09 PM, BiggTim said:

I saw these Hobby Lobby this weekend. Their 40% coupon could really make these a heckuva good deal!!

40% off at HL is excellent; I shop there as frequently as I can.

3 hours ago, 1to1scale said:

Check out the new Luke Stormtrooper HL has in stock!

I'll be headed to the local HL on the 24th, so I'll be on the lookout for these kits, that's for sure.

Fantastic Plastic has the history of which kits were produced in various science fiction and fact genres in the form of photos of built up kits. They also sold lots of SW and ST kits to fill the gaps left by FIne Molds and more in 1/72 scale and smaller... until Lucas and Disney hit them with both barrels.

Start with the 1970's sci fi collection from Fantastic Plastic and go on to the next decades and you can see what he has pulled together.

https://fantastic-plastic.com/1970s---science-fiction.html

You may find some of those kits second hand, but they are pretty rare now.

Randy Cooper has some large stuff that looks interesting:

http://randycoopermodelsdesign.squarespace.com/new-page/

He did the design for that big Mars Hopper kit from Pegasus, as far as I know.

Tnarg

5 minutes ago, scvrobeson said:

Pretty sure the Fine Molds Slave 1 is in 1/144.  I think a 1/72 one would be pretty dang big. 

A friend has the Lego S1 and its probably 15" tall or so.........just not sure what the equivalent scale is.

Little more progress on the Tie Fighter pair...........

I ended up mixing my own MRP "Tie Fighter Grey" color from approx 5 parts  MRP WWII RAF Ocean Grey to about 1 or 2 parts MRP Pale Roundel Blue. Im not sure its exactly 100% accurate to what was on screen, but I like the look of the blue-grey for some reason, as Ive seen it depicted on several models, and it look suitably sinister looking with the black.

The interior color however is straight MRP WWII RAF Ocean Grey:

20181109_154806-XL.jpg

20181109_154829-XL.jpg

The interiors and pilots of these dinky things are actually really well done. Now I didint spend a ton of time here as this is just a fun build for me, but even so, they turned out pretty neat:

20181109_154842-XL.jpg

20181109_154848-XL.jpg

I forgot that even building two of these type simple kits can take a LOT of prep work. after mixing my own color for Tie Fighters and ending up with a whole smaller bottle of it, I hope I have enough for all the stuff that need to be painted TF grey. 
With two kits, there are a LOT of parts that need to be painted. I normally don' paint models this way, as I always fear having to fill and sand after paint, but in the case of these Bandai kits I really have 0 fear of anything not fitting the way the instruction say they should (save taking some paint off the mating surfaces after the fact):

20181109_175518-XL.jpg

20181109_175522-XL.jpg

20181109_175542-XL.jpg

After painting, assembly should proceed pretty quickly. 

Cheers! 

Great progress Brian. 

I built my TiE in about 45 minutes without paint. 

20171025_215614-L.jpg

For scale, here it is with our cat

20171025_215836-L.jpg

Brian, I believe the Falcon 3D prices are in Canadian so figure a 30% discount.

As for the Tantive IV, Bandai make one in their vehicle collection series. Can't recall the scale but it's larger than 1/2700. 

Carl