Open Canopy help sought

Hi everyone,

I rarely do open canopies.  One of the main reasons is the inability to get the canopy parts to remain in place while the glue sets.  Glue gets all over the clear part as I try to keep it in place, and I feel I've ruined weeks of effort.

A lot of canopies hinge to one side and don't seem to have much support other than the hinge line which I'm trying to fake with cement.

The only other thing I can think to try is pinning.  I have some very fine drill bits, and some fine copper wire.  But we're talking about trying to drill into a brittle substance a very short depth along a narrow length.  Narrow + Brittle seems to equal disaster in my mind.

What do you guys do to defy gravity yet keep your clear canopy parts in pristine condition?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Gaz

For my Avia S-92 build:

9nPcXA.jpg

I drilled and pinned the opening section:

kwWQJH.jpg

C3QQz7.jpg

jdLJkH.jpg

And in case you're wondering: yes, the second photo does indeed show that I initially drilled the holes in the wrong side! I managed to fill and sand them away successfully, but only just got away with it.

Kev

If the canopy is clear coated of it wont fog, I place a couple of dabs of superglue, position canopy, then squirt CA accelerant. Then I'll run a fine line of tamiya extra thin along the rest of the joint. And yes, nowhere near as elegant as Kev's solution but works 9 times out of 10

I bought some Odorless CA a while back for my dads clear R/C canopy, bottle stated that it didn't fog clear plastic, work for him, not sure if the difference in plastics would make it react different 

http://www.bsi-inc.com/hobby/super_gold.html

I'm sure this not the only vendor but its all i could think of at the moment

Edited by SCRATCH BUILDER