On 10/27/2018 at 11:45 AM, dodgem37 said:

Don't know how I missed this build.  Nice work.  Great show.

Sincerely,

Mark

Hi Mark. Thank you. I am chomping at the bit to get back on this so the down time is serving to build up a lot of steam for some more progress, ASAP. I expect to have something worthy of posting by the end of next weekend. Here's to more free time!  Greg

• 2 months later...
On 1/27/2019 at 2:57 AM, CJP said:

Hi Greg I've been hanging out for an update on this beautiful build - how things going?

Chris

Hi. You would think that due to the lack of posts here that I haven't been at my modeling desk but actually, quite the opposite. Progress on the AF-1 has temporarily stopped because I was hired to build models full time for a movie. I took time off work to build miniatures for a independent film. When this gig is over, I will definitely get back to this project. I have enjoyed seeing some posts from, Anthony from NZ and you regarding your Skyhawks, so keep them coming and soon, I will be joining in again. Great to hear from you Chris!

Edited by GDW

6 hours ago, GDW said:

Hi. You would think that due to the lack of posts here that I haven't been at my modeling desk but actually, quite the opposite. Progress on the AF-1 has temporarily stopped because I was hired to build models full time for a movie. I took time off work to build miniatures for a independent film, the job will last through the month of February. When this gig is over, I will definitely get back to this project. I have enjoyed seeing some posts from, Anthony from NZ and you regarding your Skyhawks, so keep them coming and soon, I will be joining in again. Great to hear from you Chris!

How awesome is that GDW! - not knowing anything about movie making I thought that CGI had bumped the demand for models in movies so hope their demand for your skills continue - look forward to your AF1 resuming

Chris

I am working for a independent filmmaker here in northern Michigan. He is using both miniatures and CGI together. Rather than render the several military vehicles needed for the scene we are working on digitally, he is having me build them and only paint them in light grey. The light grey is something like a blue screen that colors, markings and weathering can be superimposed on digitally. That way, one tank can be several. Here is how they look when I hand them over to Dan, the filmmaker.

JAVXBs4.jpg

CoNMxo8.jpg

ZWIixFD.jpg

KJYlA6y.jpg

Here is a new to me technique that I've used for the optics on these models. A few things, like lights, vision blocks on a tank or other shiny colorful stuff I am trying to replicate so Dan doesn't have to with the computer. An armor modeler on YouTube, posted a video I watched, using the Mylar strips attached to party favors to simulate colored vision blocks on tanks. Off to Dollar Tree I went and picked up a package for a buck containing purple, red, blue, gold and green mylar. The YouTube video did not show how to attach the strips once cut to size so I came up with my own method. I put some double sided Scotch tape down on a piece of glass and then stuck a strip of Mylar on top of that. Trim to size, then pry it up with a razor blade and apply it to the periscope or whatever. I punched a disc out with my Waldron punch and die set. Just make sure to place the Mylar over some thin sheet plastic or it won't work because of how thin it is, it needs the plastic to back it.

LA8zZQ4.jpg

Na1DpaX.jpg

0PnTchN.jpg

Edited by GDW