Bf110G4 NJG4 1944/45 FINISHED!!!!! YIPPEE.

mozart

16 minutes ago, Alain Gadbois said:

Very convincing paint test Max! Looks like you got your paint mix and pressure just right!

Alain

The paint is MRP Alain, for me it's unbeatable and sprays beautifully straight from the bottle.  Being thin you can gradually build up layers, but you're right, pressure and airbrush setting is critical so the Hurricane's starboard wing will be my test bed to get that setting right! 

Wow, excellent stuff Max! 

On 11/25/2018 at 9:17 AM, mozart said:

The paint is MRP Alain, for me it's unbeatable and sprays beautifully straight from the bottle.  Being thin you can gradually build up layers, but you're right, pressure and airbrush setting is critical so the Hurricane's starboard wing will be my test bed to get that setting right! 

5 hours ago, Shawn M said:

I just bought some MRP for my '110 build.

Fuse looks good max!

30 minutes ago, mozart said:

You won't regret it Shawn, just make sure you give it a really good shake each time! 

Oh yeah, 110% agreed. Ive been using MRP on all my stuff for the last few builds and I can say without hesitation Ive not found a better, smoother shooting paint through the AB than MRP. Its just downright LOVELY.   It can be layered on so delicately and the paint dries so nicely that I can see past the extra cost up front for the pre-thinned paint. The mixture is BANG on 100% of the time, and its beauteous. 

Time to move on to the nose, initially drilling and pinning the FuG220d supports:

XXBFiZ.jpg

Whilst that's all setting I drilled out the apertures for the 30mm cannon.  I bought some Aber brass cannons needing a 2mm hole to be drilled through:

Boa03D.jpg
tPcCTU.jpg

kfJACk.jpg
T7iH6v.jpg
e3UihP.jpg
qFqvES.jpg
DWLpbe.jpg

These two are wondering how they're going to get the wheels fitted tomorrow:

I0MVNt.jpg

Edited by mozart

7 minutes ago, mozart said:

Just do it Brian!!  The next GB is the perfect excuse.......it's a challenging but very rewarding build. :frantic:

I didnt even think about the G4 conversion for the multi engine GB. That is a great idea, but I've already got something special lined up for that. :whistle:

My most dreaded part of the build, fitting the FuG220d array supports to the nose.  As Chris noted in his build, the difficulty is aligning each arm in three dimensions, but added to that each one also has to be aligned to the previously fitted ones; not easy and not done without a lot of thought.  I tried to come up with a smartarse jig to help, but not being a smartarse I failed miserably so it was back to the Mk 1 eyeball, a few bits of masking tape, a ruler and a sliver of card.  Oh, and the first problem that I found was that the port and starboard supports are not "handed".  There is a slight angle on the support/nose interface to aid mating, but the angles are the same for both sides so the starboard upper and port lower have to be amended.

The two vertical tape strips are 48mm apart as per the instructions, I tried to get everything centred to help symmetry:

22M6eF.jpg
BKtjrI.jpg

I found the distance of the back edge of the support to the cutting mat to be 23mm, so a strip of thick card helped get that distance sorted for the other ones:
D4eoJZ.jpg

After an anxious morning, it doesn't look too bad, though of course fitting the arrays will show up misalignment more:
fT4sdZ.jpg
bLe27n.jpg