HK 1/32 B-17G NMF Paint: What Say You?

All-

After much anticipation, my 1/32 HK B-17G is inching ever so closer to the paint stage! She will be a NMF bird from the 96th BG/337 BS, my Grandfather's plane. I've never airbrushed natural metal before, but a kit this size and scope deserves a good finish. I've accumulated several Alclad shades that look the business, but I've recently been hearing a buzz about AK Metal paints.

What say you? I'm concerned about good, accurate metal shades, durability, and ease. Speak to me, experts. I need some sound advise :-)

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

I find that the AK stuff for me is easier to mask over. I have not had ANY luck masking over any of the Alclad shades that require gloss black base like chrome or polished aluminum. However, I have found the AK metal colors not quite as realistic as the Alclad ones, but seem to be much more durable. Not sure if thats due to them being enamel instead of lacquer, but they seem to be much less susceptible to masking pulling the color off the model.

You could always foil it! 

DSC03391-XL.jpg

Just my 2 pence   

Foiling would be fantastic to see, but for paint I have had good results with alclad, though others have not, like Brian said. I do not, however, use the gloss black base with it. I personally think it's unnecessary for anything but chrome, and I believe it bonds better with normal grey or black matte or satin lacquer primer under it. I have not used AK or any of the acrylics, so I'll let others speak to that.

Edited by BiggTim

Both AK extreme metal and Alclad are very good paints for metallic finishes.

From my own experience, it depends of what you're looking for : 

-If you want to weather it with enamel wash, just keep using the alclad, as the AK are enamels and wont like the enamel thinner of the wash. However, if you want something strong, you should avoid the Alclad hi shine finishes (chrome, polished aluminium, airframe aluminium) as they are very fragile and dont like the enamel thinner either. To sum up, the Alclad standard paint (aluminium, white aluminium, dural, dark aluminium, and so on...) are just great and you can still get a very nice and reallistic metallic sheen if you use a gloss black undercoat. 

Example :

2117-3.jpg

2117-31.jpg

-If you want something more shiny, you better use the AK, Chrome or polished aluminium as they are stronger than the Alclad Hi Shine range. But you can highlight the panel lines only with a water base wash like UMP or Florry. However, on a highly polished model, it's not really a problem as the panels almost hi-light themselves. For a B-29 like finish, it would be a good match.

Example : 

2555-26.jpg

2903-12.jpg

In my opinion, the Alclad standard range would be a better match for a B-17G, as those aicraft were never really polished like the B-29's, but always somewhat oxyded.

Hope this helps !

Edited by Zero77

I've used both, and I prefer the AK for durability.

If you want a gorgeous, bright-metal shine, the Alclad "Polished Aluminum" will do a great job over a gloss black finish. Looks amazing, but not very realistic for a WWII aircraft.

Thanks everyone, I sure do appreciate it. I anticipate doing weathering with a water-based wash, and light pastels/weathering pigments. I will need to do some masking, so it seems AK or Valejo will be the way to go. I want durable.

For those using either AK or Valejo, any airbrushing/thinning recommendations?

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

Thanks everyone, I sure do appreciate it. I anticipate doing weathering with a water-based wash, and light pastels/weathering pigments. I will need to do some masking, so it seems AK or Valejo will be the way to go. I want durable.

For those using either AK or Valejo, any airbrushing/thinning recommendations?

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

Dennis, so far I've only used the Vallejo Metal on my F-16 exhaust, airbrushed straight from the bottle. However, I was very pleased with the coverage, control, and strength. I cleaned the airbrush (my trusty Aztek) with water followed by alcohol. I just read about the AK True Metal metallic wax polish in David Parkers build and would like to try it, but I would first add the masked markings to avoid masking over the metal.

Cheers, Tom

Thanks folks! Suppose I will try out a few different things, and see which works best for my build. She was a little shiny; wasn't on station very long before the end of the war, and her subsequent crash two days after VE Day. Light weathering, but for the most part quite clean.