1/32 Spitfire bubbletop.

Haggis9444

Evening all.

My next project is going to be a Spitfire XIVe.

I'm starting with PCMs fantastic XIVc and using the Greymatter spine conversion but I'm having great difficulty in finding a good canopy.

I know that Greymatter do a canopy but it doesn't look the best.

My usual hours of googling has drawn a bkank.

Does anyone know where I can source a good Spitfire bubbletop canopy?

Thanks.

Mark.

That's a super complicated job btw

True.  There is a conversion set from AML, it's for the Tamiya kit not the PCM, but may well be adaptable.   I suppose another alternative would be to graft the nose, tail and sundry other XIV bits - don't forget the ailerons and retractable tailwheel - onto the Tamiya XVI, but personally I think that would be beyond both my skill and my pocket, so wouldn't recommend it for anyone else.

I'm just going to have to resort to the time-honoured method of posting "Spitfire XIVe" on any "What's your wishlist?" threads. :whistle:

Edited by MikeC

I thought the only difference between the C wing and E wing was the weaponry load.

I found thus online:-

E type

A new wing was introduced in early 1944 – type E. Structurally unchanged from the C wing, the outer machine gun ports were eliminated. Although the outer machine gun bays were retained, their access doors were devoid of empty shell case ports and shell deflectors.

The inner gun bays allowed for two weapon fits two 20 mm Hispano Mk II cannon with 120 rounds/gun in the outer bays and two American .50 calibre M2 Browning machine guns, with 250 rounds per gun in the inner bays. Alternatively, four 20 mm Hispano cannon with 120 rounds per gun could be carried as per original C-wing production standard.

The cannon in the E wing was slightly relocated, positioned further to the rear in its bay. Consequently, the protruding portion of the barrel was shorter and almost entirely enclosed by a new cigar-shaped fairing. Also, the overwing blister was more narrow and a little deeper than the corresponding feature of the C wing.

Doesn't seem too complicated.

Mark.

Doesn't seem too complicated.

Mark.

It's all a question of eliminating the outer gun bays and then adapting the inner ones, along with deleting and relocating their respective ejection ports on the underside.

And in the case of the XIV and XVIII (but not the XVI E wing) reducing the aileron span by one outer rib bay.

Master do exceptionally nice bits for the Hispano and 50 cal new leading edge installation, and references are available for the rest of the work.

But how complicated it all is, is really down to the builder's confidence in carrying out the required mods competently.

The upper wing blisters on the PCM kit are separate parts from the wing so its fairly straightforward to put them in the correct location for an E wing. Master make a set of brass gun barrels that will work on the PCM kit. Don't get the Tamiya ones as they wont work without scratch builing.

The underwing ejection ports will have to be modded as well.

Hope that helps.

Carl