wrbrdmech

1/32 Tamiya F4U-1D!

Here's the final version of the sneak peek!  This is everything that will be on the sheet (minus the variation of "Killer's Hash Wagon" with the July-August 1945 CAG markings - which will be on the decal).

We'll be sending these to the printer shortly, and hope to have them back shortly after the Tamiya F4U-1D hits the streets in September.

J

8qvFP4.png

SMMQcl.png
Edited by Jennings Heilig

Jennings, Any chance of some more FAA Corsairs of the F4U-1D variety, and please, some from Central America?

Greg

We're leaving the FAA birds to people with better references and knowledge than what we have.  It's a minefield.

We talked briefly about Central American aircraft, but we chose to focus on WWII in the Pacific, since we had good information, and some new information on aircraft that had never been documented before.

Any colour you like, as long as it's blue.

Precisely the reason that I'll probably avoid this kit. I already have the 1A, and that should serve my purposes well.

Precisely the reason that I'll probably avoid this kit. I already have the 1A, and that should serve my purposes well.

Quite.

It makes Spitfire camp look positively varied.

We'll be sending these to the printer shortly, and hope to have them back shortly after the Tamiya F4U-1D hits the streets in September.

I'll be ordering two of these sheets the moment they are available!

They'll be on our web site when we get them printed.  We never take pre-orders (the logistics are a nightmare).  They haven't even gone to the printer yet, and since Europe closes down for all of August and most of July, the very soonest they could be printed is September.  Stay tuned and I'll post updates as soon as we get them.  I'd anticipate late September or into October.  Then they'll be available from our web site as usual:

www.fundekals.com

J

Wow... what an awesome selection of Corsairs.   i'm in on this.   

Jennings, what is the story behind the darker blue rudder on those VMF-312 aircraft?

F4U-1Ds were blue. Just a historical fact. Loads of interesting history there though.

If I were flying around the Pacific, I'd jolly well make sure my aeroplane was painted blue as well.

I think the weathering possibilities that sea water & high temperature offer more than makes up for the slight colour monotony.  I just bought my 3rd Tamiya Corsair, to go with my two Trumpeter Corsairs (remember them?!) and I'll get a 1D as well. They are cool aircraft.

Jennings, what is the story behind the darker blue rudder on those VMF-312 aircraft?

What we've discovered is that the VMF-312 aircraft you see with the full checkerboard treatment (cowl ring, cowl flaps, and rudder) were very early on in their combat career.  There's a famous photo of #559 with her aft end blown off by a ground based Japanese suicide sapper, and we believe that someone said they needed to tone down the markings to make them a little less easy to spot from the air and/or the ground.  She definitely had the full treatment before her loss.  Every other photo we see of -312 later that summer of 1945, they've removed the checkers from the cowl flaps and rudders.  We can't say with 100% certainty that those were not new airplanes that didn't get the full treatment, but after early spring '45 we haven't found a single pic with the full treatment.  We're just showing the slightly darker blue to indicate that they *probably* overpainted those areas to eliminate the white checkers.