1/32 Nukes

Tom

Anyone know of any aftermarket producers of 1/32 Cold War era nuclear weapons:   B28, B43, B57, B61?   I've searched and googled till I'm blind, but can't find any.    Or are there any kits that include these weapons?   Thanks.

Frankly, they make me shudder, but Victor Alert encompassed most of NATO during the Cold War, so are historically relevant. White BDU training equivalents (otherwise externally the same) might be more palatable than the metal Mk/B-57 and mahogany colour tipped Mk/B-61 'silver bullet' thermonuclear bombs, as the BDUs were actually flown and tossed or laydown dropped during weapons training deployments to Spain and Turkey (and Libya in the Sixties).

The only place I remember seeing any American nukes was the Testors F-117A, which offered a pair of B-61s. Videoaviation would no doubt make much better examples.

Tony

I'm I missing something? Is there some kind of rule where 2 inch MODELS of these weapons can't be made or sold? Thanks.

Chuck

Examples (I believe) were made by DACO in 1/48 scale. Anyone is free to make models of them.

Personally, I'd rather put a white BDU-38/B training shape on a model than the sinister Mk/B61 WMD. The latter would be good in a museum to show kiddies just how insanely dangerous the Cold War was, but the bomb dummy units were actually flown on F-4 and F-111 Weapons Training Deployments in the 1970s-1980s, featuring kevlar parachutes etc to simulate 600kt+ lay-downs. I'm unaware of any live nuclear weapons being flown except for the B-52 Chrome Dome era in the 1960s, stopped after the accidents at Palomares and Thule.

I believe in freedom of expression and that children need to learn how crazy these weapons are, but a lot of Europeans - who are touchy about guns and stuff after two appalling world wars in the last hundred years - would consider such a model possibly in very bad taste, and definitely unsuitable for a child. One man's "canned sunshine" (gallows humour) is another man's "tinned genocide". Some manufacturers don't want any bad associations, but I do chuckle when I see AIR-2A Genies in Voodoo kits.

Tony

edited

Edited by Tony T

There are quite a few examples of ones in 1/48, Daco as mentioned, Belcher Bits has several, and the old RM B-29, B-58, F-84 and of course the Voodoo came with them. Smaller scales like Spectre Resins did some in 1/72 and Platz weapon sets have 1/144 versions. The only ones in 1/32 are the previously mentioned Testors F-117.

Jari

Absolutely agreed. Nukes are a psychological weapon that altered humanity, placed a mirror in front of our faces. And if we won't learn the lesson fast it's a wrap-up. There is no justification for ignorance or delusion, we build models of weapons that kill people in extremely effective way and they fly as well. Insignias are just marketing labels.