Tamiya F4U-1 Corsair Birdcage

TenSeven

18 months after returning to model airplanes, I finally managed to produce a kit that wasn't a complete failure or utter embarrassment.

Tamiya and Alclad paints, Barracudacals cockpit stencils (that I just could not get a decent picture of), HGW seat belts, Montex masks, decals are a mixture of Eagle Cals and kit decals, oil wash is Abteilung's Starship Filth.

Gunfire and exhaust stains are pastels. The black walkway guides on the wings were painted using Tamiya Rubber. I intentionally left the rubber paint thin to simulate wear. 

The wear and chipping on the wing roots was done using the sea salt and hair spray method. It turned out heavier than I intended, but it's not too horrible. 

Corsair-01.jpg

Corsair-03.jpg

Corsair-06.jpg

In reference photos I noticed some early Corsairs did not have a pilot's headrest, I also added the 3 supports for the turtledeck windows:

Corsair-05.jpg

I spent a good amount of time wiring the engine, but I just couldn't get a good shot of it. 

Corsair-04.jpg

I gave the cockpit a good amount of weathering. The seat was chipped using hairspray method and Barracudacals stencils were applied. Again, I just could not get a clear shot of them. To add a little color and life, I made a  folded map and put it on the dash to the right of the gunsight. 

Corsair-07.jpg

Corsair-08.jpg

I spent months working on this thinking it would never be finished, now I can't wait to start another one!

Thanks for looking, 

Troy...

For some reason I posted the pics without having installed the pitot tube and radio antennas. 

Corsair_52.jpg

Corsair_50.jpg

Corsair_51.jpg

I was particularly happy how the antenna spring turned out, but my camera wouldn't focus on it. 

Corsair_55.jpg

With all the work I put into the cockpit placards, I really wanted to get decent pics of them. 

Corsair_53.jpg

Corsair_54.jpg

A fine looking model, Troy.  It's a fun kit to build, but to get the right results you have to go slowly. I find that with work, family responsibilities, and having to think thru stuff like the paint scheme, weathering, and final assembly, these turn out to be year-long builds.

david