1/18TH JSI F-14B Tomcat conversion

A-10LOADER

Steve,

Wow!! this is really beautiful work your really capturing the essence of the Big Cat with great passion and your attention to detail really will make this project stand out.

Guy

Steve, this is really awesome work.  Just loving this build.

Jim

Awesome progress - this makes me want an 1/18th scale Tomcat as well...

Thanks guys for all the kind words, very much appreciated.

Steve

Hi Steve.

As usual, I really like your honesty with the modeling hiccups along the way and your close-up photography, which shows every gory detail.

One comment, which is something you likely know already, but I'll throw it out there anyway, just in case.  Are you sanding the CA glue within 1 hour of application (better, yet, 15 minutes)?  It is quite soft when fresh, but when it dries for several hours it becomes harder than the plastic.  Whenever I use CA glue as a filler (~80% of the time), I make sure I don't apply any more glue than I can sand within 1/2 hour.

Cheers,

Chuck

Greetings all,

I forgot to included this small update yesterday. I had to redo the TCS antenna because I have broken it off twice now. When I originally did it the first time I just cut a very small slot into the pod and super glued the scratch-built antenna in the slot. It wasn't very secure and was very fragile. This time I took some .020'' sheet plastic and scribed a groove into it with my scriber. Then I centered the slot in my punch set a punched out a small disk. I then fabricated a new antenna from some old photo etch sprue and glued it into the slot with some CA glue. I drilled a small hole into the TCS pod with a slightly larger bit than the disk and now it looks much better and it much more secure. Now it will be just a matter of gluing it in place when the time comes, spray a light coat of paint and a little weathering and, it all should blend right in.

Thanks for checking in and until the next update ...

Steve

IMG_5555_zpsk8voitww.jpg

Edited by A-10LOADER

Hi Steve.

As usual, I really like your honesty with the modeling hiccups along the way and your close-up photography, which shows every gory detail.

One comment, which is something you likely know already, but I'll throw it out there anyway, just in case.  Are you sanding the CA glue within 1 hour of application (better, yet, 15 minutes)?  It is quite soft when fresh, but when it dries for several hours it becomes harder than the plastic.  Whenever I use CA glue as a filler (~80% of the time), I make sure I don't apply any more glue than I can sand within 1/2 hour.

Cheers,

Chuck

Hi Chuck, yes I am. It's just sloppy work on my part. Thanks for checking in.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...