My modeling while insane "In progress" report. :)

mpk

Thanks guys, but before I can mask off the correct size and shape yellow, I must fix all these areas I'd missed. I did not see a line in the spine until it was metal, and check out what else I found. You won't believe it. I ended up fixing the spine with old Mr Surfacer diluted with Mr Hobby thinners. The leading edges all look terrible. I'll fix it tomorrow. Look behind those barrels? The area where the angle is! That now filled hole? How on earth did I not see that?  :mental:

I probably just need better lighting! :)

Tomorrow I'll pull out those guns and clean all that up. It'll give me something to do. :) 

Anyway, have a laugh. :D

20170214_175800_zpsahgihpoe.jpg

20170214_175921_zps32ufgj6w.jpg

Work today began with my bathroom flooding and then my main room. Where I build models.  :hmmm:

So things slowed down somewhat. I also realised I was going arse backwards. So I repaired various bits, sprayed on a first coat of yellow and undercoat etc. Tomorrow I will mask off the yellow in the correct shape, spray the elevators and ailerons IJN grey, mask them and then spray on metal before applying the camo. 

I notice a small bulge near the wing tip that must go as well. Anyway this is what the thing looks like now.

20170215_162230_zpsdnyitwz3.jpg

I'd recommend it Dale. To my eyes the first coat of black primer looked a bit rough. I use black finishing surfacer 1500

all the time, but I thin it with Mr. Color levelling thinner 400 60/40 (60 thinner: 40 primer). Gives a super smooth

surface. Give it a try, it's only my opinion :) Otherwise, you're doing fantastic with your build - thumbs up!!

Lothar

I'd recommend it Dale. To my eyes the first coat of black primer looked a bit rough. I use black finishing surfacer 1500

all the time, but I thin it with Mr. Color levelling thinner 400 60/40 (60 thinner: 40 primer). Gives a super smooth

surface. Give it a try, it's only my opinion :) Otherwise, you're doing fantastic with your build - thumbs up!!

Lothar

Mate that is great.

I am ready and willing to hear any advice because I have zero idea what I am doing. I did not know anything about levelling thinners etc. I thought Alclad was just to be used out of the bottle. You're right, it did look rough and I wasted considerable time sanding it back.

So, I should use Mr Hobby Black finishing surfacer instead of the Alclad base?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have placed Mr Color finishing surfacer black 40 ml and Mr Color Leveling thinner 400 ml in my cart.

Is this correct? I ask before I pay for it tomorrow. If wrong, let me know please. :)

Any advice appreciated.

Many thanks. Dale. :)

Please don't be shy with criticism or advice. I am just beginning again after 20 years, now without a brain. So I really appreciate any help I can get. And I want to do a decent job. Not a crappy job.

After this model I plan to return to practicing. A few more cockpits, but resin jobs rather than kit cockpits.

I then plan to work on wings for a while.

Then on to undercarts.....

I plan to treat modeling like a beginner facing drum classes. I've always had teachers and masters in music and martial arts. So this place has become my teacher. This student wants to know. :)

Looking really good, both planes Dale.  I have not gone the Alclad direction yet, but on my upcoming Mustang I'm looking at Vallejo's metal paints so eagerly watching what you are doing here.  And hey, forgotten seams are pretty common but at least you found yours early enough to do something about it.

Sorry to hear about the flooding - don't you hate how real life keeps intruding on modeling time?  The nerve!!

I do like the vallejo primers but you have to watch the clogging.  I keep a cotton bud soaked in cleaner to clear the tip, and use a bit of flow improver as well.  But having use the primer, I have yet to lift any paint when I've been masking or handling the part.  Good luck with it!

Chris

Dale, I like the Vallejo primer as well -- but I'm unsure about "buffing" it out. It's thickish, so I spray using my Paasche/25 PSI. I don't thin this primer nor do I thin the Badger Primers as they seem to lose something when you do...so straight from the bottle now! The Vallejo -- at least the black one has nice sheen.

Looking forward to more progress.

Looking really good, both planes Dale.  I have not gone the Alclad direction yet, but on my upcoming Mustang I'm looking at Vallejo's metal paints so eagerly watching what you are doing here.  And hey, forgotten seams are pretty common but at least you found yours early enough to do something about it.

Sorry to hear about the flooding - don't you hate how real life keeps intruding on modeling time?  The nerve!!

I do like the vallejo primers but you have to watch the clogging.  I keep a cotton bud soaked in cleaner to clear the tip, and use a bit of flow improver as well.  But having use the primer, I have yet to lift any paint when I've been masking or handling the part.  Good luck with it!

Chris

Yeah man. Real life sucks.

Check this out. My nephew was lucky to survive a car crash yesterday. Unhurt! :D

What on earth is flow improver

Careful mate or I'll start asking you about pata fla flas. ;)

Dale, I like the Vallejo primer as well -- but I'm unsure about "buffing" it out. It's thickish, so I spray using my Paasche/25 PSI. I don't thin this primer nor do I thin the Badger Primers as they seem to lose something when you do...so straight from the bottle now! The Vallejo -- at least the black one has nice sheen.

Looking forward to more progress.

"Looking forward to more progress". I thought I was mad.  :mental:

:P

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have placed Mr Color finishing surfacer black 40 ml and Mr Color Leveling thinner 400 ml in my cart.

Is this correct? I ask before I pay for it tomorrow. If wrong, let me know please. :)

Any advice appreciated.

Many thanks. Dale. :)

Give it a try my friend, I'm sure you won't regret it!!

Lothar