1/48 Tamiya F-14A Tomcat - "Rage 207"

DoogsATX

Printers definitely play the major role - though I will note that I've had various experiences with Cartograf-printed sheets - Italeri's decals are obviously printed to different specs than Furball's, for example. 

I really hope to see this on the contest table in San Antonio next month. After viewing your A-4 in person, I walked away trying to decide if it was either the most realistic finish I had ever seen or the best representation of a finish applied to a scale model. Your F4U further confused the issue and it seems each new subject builds on the previous one regarding technique and mastery. Looking forward to the next installment.

BW

Looks very good, Matt....as it has from day one.

I've just started to Tomcat myself, and i think i understand why you feel the way you do about things like the cockpit. I find the main instrument panels in particular kind of frustrating to paint. With the benefit of hindsight do you have any advice on how best to paint up the instrument panels and side consoles? I've been asking myself if there's a smarter way to do this.....

Cheers,

david

I really hope to see this on the contest table in San Antonio next month. After viewing your A-4 in person, I walked away trying to decide if it was either the most realistic finish I had ever seen or the best representation of a finish applied to a scale model. Your F4U further confused the issue and it seems each new subject builds on the previous one regarding technique and mastery. Looking forward to the next installment.

BW

Thanks for the praise, Brandon! Honestly I'm not sure if I'll be making San Antonio. Going to be in Colorado the weekend before and will probably have to play it by ear. But since I missed last year, if I do go I'll at least have plenty to bring!

I've just started to Tomcat myself, and i think i understand why you feel the way you do about things like the cockpit. I find the main instrument panels in particular kind of frustrating to paint. With the benefit of hindsight do you have any advice on how best to paint up the instrument panels and side consoles? I've been asking myself if there's a smarter way to do this.....

Honestly I would be shocked if the aftermarket players miss out on the opportunity Tamiya's given them with the modular design of the cockpit. Instead of a full resin cockpit I could see someone doing resin panels, bulkheads etc. If that happens I'll jump all over it. 

As for painting...I'd probably approach it the same way - get the gray down, then pick out the consoles using various blacks and various techniques and going from there. 

Honestly I would be shocked if the aftermarket players miss out on the opportunity Tamiya's given them with the modular design of the cockpit. Instead of a full resin cockpit I could see someone doing resin panels, bulkheads etc. If that happens I'll jump all over it. 

As for painting...I'd probably approach it the same way - get the gray down, then pick out the consoles using various blacks and various techniques and going from there. 

Yeah, that's more or less what i'm doing...

-d-

So...after sealing the underside with Gunze Semi-Gloss, I had to admit that I HATED the custom decals - or at least some of them. The ones of the lower strakes were particularly bad. 

LRM_EXPORT_20170113_013223-X2.jpg

My original plan was to build up a heavy gloss (Gunze GX100) and then sand back to level things out. I did this with some Tamiya prop stencils I used on my Dauntless and it worked like a charm. But then I remembered that I had VF-24s from the Fightertown sheet. 

So I decided to do some stripping. 

LRM_EXPORT_20170114_005346-X2.jpg

Also stripped off the Beware of Blast & Bu.No (BoBs are missing on ref pics, numbers had similar-but-not-as-bad problems as the strake decals) as well as the 07s on the tails.

LRM_EXPORT_20170114_005636-X2.jpg

LRM_EXPORT_20170114_005538-X2.jpg

Three main takeaways from the stripping business:

1 - ISO is great for cutting through a lacquer clear coat. 

2 - Tamiya X-20A is great for removing decals. 

3 - Testors decal paper is trash. I thought maybe the Badger Decal Film I used was the culprit, but the stripping action went in two parts - first the film and ink came up, and then second, a much thicker backing carrier from the decal paper itself. So I'm not going to swear off custom decals - but I do need to find a better paper. 

Edited by DoogsATX

Part 2 - fixing the mess I made!

First thing - I needed to restore the swooshes to the lower strakes. First time out, I used Furball's decals, which were alright, but didn't extend all the way up the strakes. So before stripping them, I scanned them to capture the angle of the curve, then made my own masks. 

LRM_EXPORT_20170116_002222-X2.jpg

I'm still mucking around with my vinyl cutter to dial in the settings, but what I've got is good enough for relatively simple shapes like this. 

LRM_EXPORT_20170116_002403-X2.jpg

Painted with Gunze Euro I Gray mixed with some black to darken it. 

LRM_EXPORT_20170116_002558-X2.jpg

And...decals re-added (didn't get a pic of the strake VF-24s yet, but they also came out nicely).

LRM_EXPORT_20170116_233528-X2.jpg

More creeping progress. More "first pass" weathering - Ammo Blue Gray panel line wash being treated as a pseudo-sludge wash. Next up will be a sealing coat and then on to the more aggressive stuff. 

LRM_EXPORT_20170118_001351-X3.jpg

LRM_EXPORT_20170118_001450-X3.jpg

Also solved the oleos on the gear struts - using Uschi's chrome powder over some Vallejo gloss black. It's a PITA to take photos of though...

LRM_EXPORT_20170118_010838-X3.jpg

Edited by DoogsATX

Definitely going to have to acquire some of the Uschi chrome powder.   I normally like to sub in some of the polished "Turkey injector" needles one can find at Thanksgiving in the US to inject marinade into the bird as oleos .

Normally works, but not for every diameter however. 

Edited by Out2gtcha