1/48 Tamiya F-14A Tomcat - "Rage 207"

DoogsATX

• 2 weeks later...

Weird how being off for the holidays has largely kept me off actual computers (for long enough to play on forums, at least). It's also interrupted bench time. Such as that one night when the pupper decided barking and whining was preferable to sleep...

15732186_1228980383858407_72046459028342

But I've managed to get some work in - including lots of tedious decal work on the AIM-7s and AIM-9s. I'm honestly not too thrilled with the AIM-9s - especially next to the resin Sparrows. I'm considering going with some Brassin AIM-9Ms instead. 

LRM_EXPORT_20161228_020641-X3.jpg

Also had some adventures with trying to find a good black backdrop. This isn't it, but gives a good look at why I want black as an alternate. 

Tamiya%20F-14%20122116-3-X3.jpg

Last night, I finally got a start on the decals - which are going to be a mix of Furball, Fightertown and a few custom ones for the Bu.Nos. These are Furball - and I've forgotten just how much of a pleasure Furball decals are to work with. Really, really wish they'd venture into 1/32. 

LRM_EXPORT_20161229_014425-X3.jpg

Great work Matt.  I will be keen to see how you get on with the Brassin AIM-9s if you decide to go that way - I had a play with those but ultimately went with the Hasegawa ones as I found that the PE rocket cover for the tail end was oversized and looked silly.  I'm sure you'll be able to do them justice though, they are beautifully moulded.

Also, this is probably a silly question - the fins on the AIM-7s seem to have a lot of grey overspray on them, is this deliberate? 

Cheers
Jim

Great work Matt.  I will be keen to see how you get on with the Brassin AIM-9s if you decide to go that way - I had a play with those but ultimately went with the Hasegawa ones as I found that the PE rocket cover for the tail end was oversized and looked silly.  I'm sure you'll be able to do them justice though, they are beautifully moulded.

Also, this is probably a silly question - the fins on the AIM-7s seem to have a lot of grey overspray on them, is this deliberate? 

Hopefully they aren't warped all to hell like some of their other missiles. I'm convinced shoving them into those blister packs is what does it!

As for the Sparrows - fins haven't been painted yet. Want to get the bodies done first. 

Decals took longer than expected...but ultimately ended up being one of those fortuitous "just in time" situations, as the final decals I needed to complete my cobbled together scheme only showed up yesterday.

So...here's the deal. 

• Furball decals were used for the majority of the markings and stencils, including insignias, tail swooshes, NG lettering, all the various "No Steps" and so on. They were all simply excellent and reaffirm my stance that Furball's decals are the best I've ever used. 
  • Tamiya's kit decals (grumble) were used for the slime lights (Furball's didn't fit the Tamiya kit) and some hoist point stencils that Furball bafflingly didn't include. These are a step up from Tamiya's usual decals - responded well to Mr Mark Softer and are thinner than what I've come to expect from them.
  • Fightertown decals were used for the 207 modex numbers on the nose and wings. The nose ones maddeningly degraded somewhat under Mr Mark Softer, so I kept it far away from the flap codes. 
  • Custom printed decals were used for the Bu.No, tail codes and USS Kitty Hawk stenciling on the glove vanes (most VF-24 decal sheets are focused on the period after, when they were on the Nimitz). These had a knife edge between playing nice with setting solutions and having the ink run. Fortunately the only real smearing was on two numbers of the Bu.No, which is tucked away under a stabilator. 

Next up - little details to attend to - painting antennas, installing metal AOA probe, getting gear struts painted, that sort of thing, and then moving into the joys of weathering. 

F-14Decals-11-X3.jpg

F-14Decals-5-X3.jpg

F-14Decals-1-X3.jpg

F-14Decals-9-X3.jpg

F-14Decals-8-X3.jpg

Really good, especially like the curved wingsweep area.

Looks like your stand's screws need some corrosion control too!

The decal differences you mention due to the printers most likely rather than the decal manufacturer? No idea who Tamiya uses, I think Furball uses Cartograf, and think Fightertown uses Microscale?

Edited by ziggyfoos