Tamiya 1/32 French Navy Corsair

Vynce804

With my new found interest in heavy weathering I thought I would try my hand with a well worn French navy f4 corsair. It's based on the Awsome tamiya kit, and I know it's not quite right for the French variant but I'm no scratch builder but didn't want that to stop me! I did though replace the prop with a 4 bladed one from a Hasegawa p47 and I polished the frame lines out of the canopy and to me it looks close enough.

Weathering was achieved with maskol chipping and silver pencil. I did oil dot highlight and shading and various mig products for random stains etc. Toughest part were the exhaust stains which took several attempts. Oh and snapping a main gear leg when I dropped it near the end of the build wasn't funny either!

For anyone who thinks its overdone I have included my inspiration picture and from what I can see my rendition is a little pristine compared to the real thing!!

Cheers

E45B59F9-80F3-416F-9CDE-07042130D7FD_zps

A8AB3088-4655-4CBF-ABAF-0D2B7EC51CB2_zps

13798BD3-971F-40D9-96A5-FDEFBE89A874_zps

90B9C9C7-558D-4EFF-AC65-50DF1D27C533_zps

FA7F550A-D5C3-4A41-A290-5DEAD5F28B7E_zps

0A4CE383-3240-4755-9FA3-03BB206DAE21_zps

EA5B8A0A-9F91-4977-AB85-BE13688A2500_zps

70C672D1-2871-4AFA-AD91-715F5FE309FB_zps

WOW, love the weathering ! I think you nailed it. I love worn dirty birds !Thanks for posting.....Harv  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:   :punk:

Nice one! :goodjob:

Congrats for succesful polishing off canopy frames! I am not able to do so (except the instructions require a "frosted" canopy look :innocent: ).

Also like how much you model meets the real thing. BTW, that is not worn paint. This is the well-known French "junkyard camo" :rofl:

Regards!

- dutik

Very nice paintjob. Indeed it's a bit fictious as the french Navy had a few AU-1 and was the only user of the most advanced F-4U7. But this one can pretty much looks like an AU-1, i'm not a corsair expert, and honestly without a book, i cannot really say the difference ! :)

Great model !

Wow. Spot on compared to the photo. I thought to myself it might be a tad too heavy. After seeing the picture on your tread, I must say you have captured the weathering throughout. Terrific example on your bird representing the worn paint effect. Well done!

Troy

I think your result is brilliant.

I would have liked it regardless, but the actual photo of a Corsair in very similar condition really sold it.  Like some of the others, in general I tend to prefer the "rode hard put away wet" look, and you certainly achieved that.

Congrats!