F-15E --- 1/32 --- Tamiya

Omg, i realize now, that small round thing (3) should be the "dome"-style GPS antenna that sits on top of the upper fuselage like a small round half-sphere "thing", just next of the speed brake. And perhaps the other thing right next to it is a similar antenna only with four rivets or something... Yet i`m 99% sure. 

So what is (1) with the two similar parts? Are these also "dome"-style GPS antennas? I know that one of these things is fitted somewhere between the radome and the wind shield, but on the C version, any clues if this is the same thing on the E version also?

And (2) - i know exactly where it sits - adjacent to the leading edge of the centerline pylon on the lower fuselage, but what is it - a light or an antenna?

Thanks if someone could help me with these questions. I searched info as well as photos, and it still stays unclear. 

photo_2.jpg

Omg, i realize now, that small round thing (3) should be the "dome"-style GPS antenna that sits on top of the upper fuselage like a small round half-sphere "thing", just next of the speed brake. And perhaps the other thing right next to it is a similar antenna only with four rivets or something... Yet i`m 99% sure. 

So what is (1) with the two similar parts? Are these also "dome"-style GPS antennas? I know that one of these things is fitted somewhere between the radome and the wind shield, but on the C version, any clues if this is the same thing on the E version also?

And (2) - i know exactly where it sits - adjacent to the leading edge of the centerline pylon on the lower fuselage, but what is it - a light or an antenna?

Thanks if someone could help me with these questions. I searched info as well as photos, and it still stays unclear. 

photo_2.jpg

Thanks for the kind words,  you are pretty close with your explanation.   So much of the F-15 antenna config varied and changed that you must use your references and match them.  provide enough for any combo.

1 are ALQ-135 nodes that are on the top and bottom of the F-15C right behind the radome. Not used on F-15E

2 is a data link antenna used for a short time.  

3 are both GPS domes, just 2 of the several different styles used.

hope this helps.   F's set was sent out before the instructions were done.

thanks, Gary

Edited by ghatherly

I would like to share my "inbox" review of the GTR upgrades, and also a video review by Mitko (Eagle Driver here in the forum).

Awesome resin parts! I don`t know from where to start :)

Great stuff,   Thanks so much!    It looks like i forgot to send you a ALQ-128 fin cap.  Will ship one out to you.

thx,

Gary

Oh la la :) I have a surprise, i was thinking about jazzing-up the texture of the model with rivets and so on, but yesterday some surprises arrived, so the riveting should be postponed. I`m still quite excited... okey okey, here they are the gems from GT Resin:

photo_1.jpg

photo_2.jpg

photo_3.jpg

Thanks to Gary and the awesome GTR upgrades, and my irresistible will to improve the plane - i continue with these upgrades :) I plan to use all of them, just i have no clues with the right configuration of the antennas so far. But i will figure it out.

And a question about the 2 "things" on the right side of the antennas set - what are they? Are they some kind of antennas too? First i though that it is the shimmy dampener for the front wheel, but they are two almost the same exact pieces and look a little bit thicker than the shimmy dampener. Interesting. Thanks in advance.

Gary, Thanks again to you too! 

A Note  on the launch rails. The LAU-128/ rails and LAU-552 adapters are not meant to replace the kit parts because of a Tamiya Error. These are the original pylon missile mounts for the AIM-9 missiles up to the L/M. These new rails were necessary to use the AIM-120 and AIM-9X Missiles. Think as a replacement set for use int he modern Era post ODS/'92. The kit rails are actually not bad as a starting point for an ODS or earlier Light Gray or Mudhen build.

If you are looking for Eagle info, this F-15 book is designed for modelers and may be of help.

#3 are both GPS antennas, neither of which Desert Storm jets had.

#2 is nothing more than a cover for the cannon plug connection to the centerline pylon.  It is removed, obviously, when a centerline pylon is uploaded to the jet. 

Okey, then, ladies and gents, this F will be from the Afghanistan era: 2001+. :piliot:  :piliot:  :piliot:  :piliot:

Cuz i definitely want to include that radome-style antenna, as well as the modern rails, and i`m pretty much impatient to scratch a Sniper Pod (i already have it in 1/48, non-assembled, so although for th 1st time - it would be much easier i think).  I just searched a little bit of info for the Sniper pod - it turned out that it was used from 2005+. The thing is that i was a kid, but still i have real memories from the Afghanistan war era. However, i know pretty much nothing about it :( I could say that i`m very familiar with the "9/11 theme" and i know pretty much everything about it, but almost nothing about the revenge in Afghanistan. I remember that the first 3-4 years were more "active", the TV reports frequently mentioned Afghanistan, maybe everyday/every few days, while after the first few years it was much calmer, like piece keeping missions, some Tv reports from time to time... Yet i love Afghanistan-themed movies, such as, i just recall The Hurt Locker. So i will have to search more about the participation of the Chiefs squadron in Afghanistan after 2005 with the Sniper pod. :) I`m kinda happy, but also disappointed, bored, annoyed and sad to put off aside/change the ODS "movie".

Here is another surprise... even for me... i`m starting to do something that i will do for the 1st time... at least i`ll try to. It`s even harder to explain, so here are a couple of photos of the real plane, with the blue highlights:

sdfvb.jpg

And in this photo is visible almost everywhere:

dfvb.jpg

And this is everywhere thorughout the entire plane :) It is the footprint from the tear and wear, in terms of texture of the panel lines. Something like embossed or beveled areas alongside the rivet lines or near the panel lines... i don`t know, it is veeeeeery very subtle, but at a very sharp angle it is visible, and i think that in 1/32 scale should be present too. Beside from the riveting, this will be like another major editing of the surface/texture of the entire plane. So i`ll do it in the meantime, little by little, and the riveting will be after that. I`m starting with the pylons :)))) i want to make the pylons with the awesome resin rails :) But the pylon itself is really bad - it needs a lot of improvements. First the texture... here it is oob - a huge flat smooth piece:

photo.jpg

It`s just flat, like mirror flat. But it should become veeery beautiful :)

A quick updt: prepped for assembly:

photo_3.jpg

photo_2.jpg

The embossing of the pylon is done and is visible only at a very sharp angle:

photo_1.jpg

And i want to share one of my strangest creations so far... It`s slightly offtopic, but i hope you`ll like it :) It`s something like a sci-fi/fairytale/fantazy diorama with dimensions like 20cm x 20cm. Here are a couple of closeups. The second photo is totally photoshoped; the first one is with real colors :rolleyes: .

27935163505_ee13b4b849_b.jpg

27656459820_521e95a7fe_b.jpg

Great job on the pilots, nozzles, vents.... well pretty much everything really! Very impressive.

The panel beating look is a result of many hours of flying, rapid pressure changes, pulling G etc and is particularly noticable near fuel tanks which are often pressurised. The Hawk T1 and the B52 have it quite pronounced on the fuselage sides and it certainly is worth trying to capture the look on these aircraft. I think if done discretely and in the right places this could work quite well. Look forward to seeing the results!

PS I usually make enough errors and corrective action to 'add' surface variation without intending to.