Pre WW1 Aeroplanes in 1/32

Fred Jack

Sorry, but IMHO cost/profit margins work against the possibility of 1/32 pre-WWI aircraft kits seeing the light of day. . . even WnW isn't going to be going there in a hurry, since Sir Peter's list of potential WWI subjects isn't even CLOSE to exhausted, and even with HIS deep pockets, the cost of WnW kits has risen. But even my prediction might be off, should 3D printing replace metal molds as a source of kit parts.

I would be challenged by the art of painting styrene to appear/simulate the transparent or similar fragile look of wings for example. Maybe have to mould them with transparent plastic. Painting would then cover up the insides just right for the effect. I would buy and try (is it) a French Fairmon or Blerioux but the very kit-like aircraft would be out. Eyes would be crossed permanently doing one.

Rick

Antoinette plus the Magnificent Men set and a Taube would get my cash for sure. They are all likely scratch build material. Just imagine a Phillip's Multiplane or the early Schneider Racers with those. OK, not going to happen, but I can dream, can't I?

Tnarg

Keep in mind.....wood frame in scale may not work so well....I use square brass stock, painted to look like wood. You can also drill locating holes in them for small brass wire locating pins for cross bracing,,etc. Wing ribs can also be made from brass stock, either from heavy wire or light rod stock, or cut from brass sheet. It will give your model the strength it needs. It works well. For wings or covering, you can use silkspan. Think outside the box from traditional plastic.

Joe

Des over at WW1aircraftmodels has scratch build some superb pre-war aircraft.

Heroic stuff.

But WW1 1/32 remains a niche market. Pre-war 1/32 would be a niche within a niche and a manufacturer would have to be pretty brave to invest in that. Unless WNW decided - which means Peter Jackson fancies some pre-war kits - it's not going to happen, at least not in injected plastic.

An Antoinette, Bleriot, Farman, or how about an early Curtiss or Wright, scratched out in a large scale, would be breathtaking.

Remember the series that Pyro / Life Like did in 1/48 ? Add to your list the Deperdussin, Avro Bi and Triplanes, Handisyde... They would be great in a large scale like 1/32 or even 1/24 or 1/16 scale! In a scale like that the detail that could be shown would really be sweet.

Joe

Remember the series that Pyro / Life Like did in 1/48 ? Add to your list the Deperdussin, Avro Bi and Triplanes, Handisyde... They would be great in a large scale like 1/32 or even 1/24 or 1/16 scale! In a scale like that the detail that could be shown would really be sweet.

Joe

Exactly! The big ones missing from that 48th set were the Antoinette and Taube.... but that crazy Phillip's multiplane did show up in the intro to the movie. There are at least two dozen amazing and beautiful aircraft that could make the list.

Tnarg

• 2 weeks later...

Look guys, It is highly unlikely that these early aircraft will be produced in 1/32  or even 1/24 scale.

As wood kits, yes, sure. But not as pop-it-off-the-sprue-and-glue-it-together-polystyrene kits.

I can see it being done by someone whose love of these early aircraft and a really big bankroll will enable him to take the loss of $ by producing a like of kits.

But it is not likely.

Back in the 1920's-1930's era guys would make models of the pioneer kits using just printed plans and thin strong wood, like bamboo. Then they woiuld actually fly these models as gliders and/or under rubber band power.

So it can be done. Today we can substitute carbon for the bamboo.

But, realistically, how many of us have the time and skills and temperament and intense desire to scratch build these pioneering beauties?

Not very many. We like this as a  hobby, not as an obsession.

But it is fun to dream.

Stephen