Tamiya Mosquito ready for take off

logical

Never been much of a fan of Mosquito models. I think its something to do with the old 1/72nd Airfix kit. It always looked a little clunky when it was on it's wheels. So I tended to avoid it. Then when Tamiya and HK models brought out their 32nd scale kits I thought nah don't want one. Don't like the plane what's the point building a kit of a plane I don't like. Then the more I saw of them being built and the detail on them I thought about it. I saw a few builds that made it look stunning despite being on the undercarriage. Then after watching a few videos on You tube and comparing the HK bomber and the Tamiya fighter I took the plunge. Helped largely by a good discount on the kit too ;)

This was a first on a couple of techniques. The first time I used the Montex Masks, the first time with Fabric belts (Yes I know my 24th Hurricane had both of these but I started the Mossie back in November) and the first time i've used artists charcoal and burnt umber to weather the exhausts. The belts were a PITA. But look good. The Montex masks I hated but not as much as Tamiya's decals. Why do they shrivel up so much at the sight of Micro-sol?? Grrr I lost a few that way. Especially round the exhausts on the faired side. But anyway on with the pictures. As best as I can take.

20160323_144020_zpsiywwlxqr.jpg

20160323_144040_zpsf1zjexkv.jpg

20160323_144027_zpsqtlk0vlf.jpg

20160323_144056_001_zps6pttj71t.jpg

20160323_144148_zpsjjq9u1yi.jpg

20160323_144220_zpstpj3sogb.jpg

20160323_144227_zpsyro8fivv.jpg

20160323_144235_zps9eex1jb1.jpg

20160323_144251_zpsm0idi1ya.jpg

Edited by logical

So that's what I have to look forward to..........,but I still have a long way to go.

With regards to Tamiya's decals, they actually do work quite well but they don't like Micro Set or Sol too much. The only solution they respond really well to is Mr. Mark Softer decal setting fluid.

I'd also spend a little more time working on eliminating the seams on the fuselage. Other than that she looks fine. I like the close up pic in to the cockpit.

Cheers,

Wolf

Edited by Wolf Buddee

So that's what I have to look forward to..........,but I still have a long way to go.

With regards to Tamiya's decals, they actually do work quite well but they don't like Micro Set or Sol too much. The only solution they respond really well to is Mr. Mark Softer decal setting fluid.

I'd also spend a little more time working on eliminating the seams on the fuselage. Other than that she looks fine. I like the close up pic in to the cockpit.

Cheers,

Wolf

Damnit! I had a chance to order this one at 45% off over the Christmas Squadron sale that my model club got in on, and I punted. I'm so mad at myself.

Luckaly I did partake Bill. What a beaut....Harv

Stunning mossie.

I have just purchased one, wow what a kit.

As a newbie I was surprised that I haven't seen more Mossie's on here. A few HK and a few Tamiya, is it the cost?

As someone returning to the fold after 20 years, I am happily surprised how the engineering of kits has moved on.

Half way through the Tamiya Birdcage and that has been a complete joy to build.

Looking forward to starting the Mossie, just hope I can do it just.....

The mossie is a stunning kit. It is expensive though. But considering I started it in November and probably put about 100 hours into it it works out about £1.30 per hour.

Wolf I didn't notice that seam until after painting I'm going to try and rectify it though.

The mossie is a stunning kit. It is expensive though. But considering I started it in November and probably put about 100 hours into it it works out about £1.30 per hour.

Wolf I didn't notice that seam until after painting I'm going to try and rectify it though.

That's exactly how I look at the expense of kits, I do not begrudge it at all. I'll think twice maybe three times about the cost but

where can you get this much enjoyment at that cost.

I am at this moment looking at the sprues, it would so easy to open those bags........