1/32 Trumpeter SBD-5 Dauntless

DoogsATX

These beauties showed up yesterday

IMG_20160420_190954-X3.jpg

I'm planning to solder them - but I haven't soldered anything in, oh, fifteen years, and back then it was wiring. So gathered some supplies and did some practice runs on scrap PE.

IMG_20160420_233803-X3.jpg

Want to get a bit cleaner than this, but it feels about 85% of the way there. Now the fun part is going to be figuring out how to solder the main flap panels, which fold over on each other. Things at angles don't really freak me out, but that flat-on-flat...

Guest Clunkmeister

This is one awesome build, Matt.

The cockpit is spectacular, and nice save on the wing gap issues, it looks spot on.

It's amazing how small the Dauntless actually is, and if you've ever seen a real one, they look almost miniature, like a 2/3 scale replica.

I have this kit as well, and I'm following along with interest.

This is one awesome build, Matt.

The cockpit is spectacular, and nice save on the wing gap issues, it looks spot on.

It's amazing how small the Dauntless actually is, and if you've ever seen a real one, they look almost miniature, like a 2/3 scale replica.

I have this kit as well, and I'm following along with interest.

Thanks!

The Dauntless is one of those where I think maybe its proportions throw it off - believe it or not it actually has a greater wingspan than the P-47! But it certainly feels like a much more compact aircraft than that. Think the thick wing and how far forward the nose extends from the wing might have something to do with it.

Guest Clunkmeister

That and the short stubby landing gear also.

But if you park a Dauntless next to an Avenger or Helldiver, the Dauntless certainly looks lost.

I used to hate soldering until I was shown a technique using a butane pen torch instead of an iron, and it's far easier (well, at least for me) and a lot cleaner too. It may well be a solution for your flat-on-flat if you haven't already got through that part.

Darren

I am very late to this party but saw your earlier comments about the difficulty of replicating seatbelt fabric. Various medical/surgical tapes have a fine textured finish to them and work well for fabric seat belts.

Your Dauntless is looking very good! I especially like the subtle weathering in the cockpit.

These beauties showed up yesterday

IMG_20160420_190954-X3.jpg

I'm planning to solder them - but I haven't soldered anything in, oh, fifteen years, and back then it was wiring. So gathered some supplies and did some practice runs on scrap PE.

IMG_20160420_233803-X3.jpg

Want to get a bit cleaner than this, but it feels about 85% of the way there. Now the fun part is going to be figuring out how to solder the main flap panels, which fold over on each other. Things at angles don't really freak me out, but that flat-on-flat...

It looks good and clean ! You can sand the excess tin quite easily (it's softer than brass, so almost only the tin will be sanded). I like soldering as it is incredibly stronger than gluing, and it looks so good. But i always burn my finger and i often find my work a bit messy. :) My experience is limited to PE seats, though. A large assembly like airbrakes must be a nice adventure !

The flat on flat is not a problem as long as both parts are really flat. You only need to heat the whole area, and the tin will flow between the parts in a very thin coat by capilarity. It's a very strong assembly. Many rifles had their iron sights assembled by tin soldering, sometimes with additional screws, sometimes not. (usually not for the front sight).

I will follow this with interest !

• 1 month later...
Dauntless has been in a bit of a holding pattern lately - but we're back on the go again!

First up - Eduard PE for the wing bomb racks - a bit fussy but really pretty cool!

IMG_20160501_003053-X3.jpg

IMG_20160501_023338-X3.jpg

Lots of work has also gone into fitting the upper-center dive brake housing to the Dauntless. Ugh. Next time I do a Dauntless, I think I'll leave that portion in plastic. 

Now that it's installed (ain't pretty...don't have pics yet), I've been working on the rest of the brakes.

The actuators are tedious! Thankfully Eduard provides way more than the 30 needed.

IMG_20160605_092124-X3.jpg

The brakes themselves fold over onto themselves. So one side has outside texture, the other side has interior texture. I decided to fix these with epoxy, but needed a way to keep them flat while they cured. Clamps etc weren't working, so...

I sandwiched them between two sheets of glass

IMG_20160604_020058-X3.jpg

And added bricks for good measure.

LRM_20160604_015625-X3.jpg

Moving on the the details of the flaps...Eduard would have you fold these long strips of PE...but strip styrene does the job just as well.

IMG_20160605_012709-X3.jpg

Center flap more or less done. Fitting and gluing the supports takes a lot of small alignment and thin CA work. 

IMG_20160605_020744-X3.jpg

Up next...rest of the flaps and getting closer and closer to paint.