Major Kit Database Upgrade

LSP_Kevin

Howdy folks,

I'm pleased to announce that the long-planned upgrades to our Kit Database that I've been working on for the last couple of weeks have finally borne some fruit. The idea is to use the database as a central hub around which to aggregate our content. This means that, when you bring up a kit's detail page, underneath the top section that shows those details, you'll also see sections detailing related content. The 'related kits' section has been there for quite some time, but I've now extended that to include reviews, build articles, walkarounds, and reference books. Over time, the plan is to extend things further, perhaps even including forum build threads, and cross-linking between content areas.

We're a long way from having all the content relationships in place, which is what drives this new feature, but K2 has been putting in a lot of work to get us started, and I can share some representative links to show how it works:

As we build and extend the content relationships, each kit entry will become increasingly comprehensive, and increasingly useful as a content hub.

Comments, thoughts, suggestions, and bug reports welcome! And a great big thanks to K2 for his tireless work in getting our content relationships as far along as they currently are.

Oh...some of you may be thinking that this is simply a rip-off of what Scalemates is doing. There are certainly some similarities, but I've had this goal for our Kit Database since before Scalemates even existed. It just took me this long to find the time to implement it. Our version also has a different set of intentions, being to make it easier to find related content on our website. One day we might consider including content from other websites, but we're a long way from that right now!

Kev

I clicked on the HK B-25 link, and the page came up- But when I clicked on the build review links, I get " Fatal error: Call to a member function data_seek() on a non-object in /home/lsplanes/public_html/articles/article.php on line 58"

Well, that looks mighty fine!  Definitely a useful tool for anyone contemplating building a model they are not familiar with.  I have a couple "out of my usual era" models that I will be checking out in the improved data base.  Well done (and still doing) gentlemen.  Bravo!

I clicked on the HK B-25 link, and the page came up- But when I clicked on the build review links, I get " Fatal error: Call to a member function data_seek() on a non-object in /home/lsplanes/public_html/articles/article.php on line 58"

That's weird, Lee. It's working fine for me, so I can't explain it, but I'll check it out.

Kev

kevin, i don't know if it's relevant as a "different" kit from the three B25 kits presented in the list, but i've managed to get a fourth B25 kit form sprues brothers containing a clear fuselage on the strafer version with an extra glass nose sprue as a bonus.

The box art is the same as the "normal" strafer version but on the side it's indicated as a limited edition with the extra remark: another merit exclusive

Jack.

BTW the kit is indicated as:  01S01

Edited by Jack

That's weird, Lee. It's working fine for me, so I can't explain it, but I'll check it out.

Kev

Working fine for me too. We've been working like crazy to begin the task of associating content, all of which as K1 states, refer back to links on our own site, cross linking as much content as we can.

Neat! The relational part on the B-25 link worked great.  I can see this having all SORTs of usefulness. 

Glad you like it, Brian. I just took note that the B-17 can have a lot more reference material associated, so I'll add that tonight (unless K1 beats me to it). 

There's more to come guys, such as getting the Tweak Lists in the database and associating them. But mostly we now just need to set up all the links. It has an exponential effect, though, so it should grow quite quickly.

Kev

I would think this project will be a bugger to curate ongoing into the future.

Actually, Dan, the way it works will make it pretty easy to maintain in the future. It's just a couple of extra pieces of data, which all database entries will get. The laborious part is adding that data to our existing content: 600+ remaining kit entries, 5400+ reference items, 1500+ reviews, 2300+ articles, and 120+ walkarounds!

Kev