I/32nd I.D Vacform RAAF Canberra B.20

Piprm

Main Wing-Well construction ...

Photo references: (study)

XIF0H5r.jpg?1

Looking vertically up into well from undercarriage....

General views for study purposes....

b1kvMnu.jpg?1

uhMqbwi.png?1

tcNmfRC.png?1

8eaFY36.png

8UxG4Vm.png   

EkGuLWT.png?1

pyL3I7P.png

z478h05.png

HuDetl4.jpg?1

za36E6P.png

......Looks easy to make ... doesn't it?   :wacko: 

Edited by Piprm

Mastering Main Wing Well Components :

PtNqdB2.jpg?1

Top of Wheel - Well is the bottom skinning and ribbing of the top of the wing ... and as such,  has to conform to the profile of the top of the wing ... So I had to shape the top of the well to the top of the wing profile... To do this , I used a industrial hot air blower and 'formed' the correct shape of the top of the well into the wing cavity.... as the wing itself is the best shaping tool!

(of course .. I still checked it against the plans)  Though.... I had to be careful of the excess heat effecting the shape of the wing ... so I had to work the well shaping to small increments at a time...

Next - is a quick Wheel-well mock up to check everything looks and measures right  .... 

... You'll also notice that I deliberately made the top of the well thin... to help give the wheel well some impression of depth.

The sides are made and will be cast in resin - thick, as most of the Landing Gear stresses and carrying forces are filtered and supported  through this piece.

T3jEU5u.jpg?1

s3VQCTJ.jpg

Pmm9cqP.jpg?1

mmS4c8w.jpg?1

You will notice that the inside of the well (connection point of wing to fuselage - side) is an 'open part... if you check the photos.. you will notice that the inside of the well is actually the fuselage sides! (study photos above)

Edited by Piprm

Now for the .... MOMENT OF TRUTH!  :fight: 

Will all elements line up for the Landing Gear to be plumb ? 

Photo reference: 

D6ILO93.jpg?1

YKirJUA.jpg?2iv5SW5r.jpg?1

gnsLuq6.jpg?1

Comparison Masters parts  : (Assembly - all mock-up at this stage)

K73K6o9.jpg?1

JLoTXWs.jpg

Comparison to the same area in the model-masters,  showing critical angles I tried to duplicate ,

Yep!.. Me thinks I got the Angle of the Dangle right!   :hmmm:

t75R34V.jpg?1

K9Dhld0.jpg

I think the photos speak for themselves...  :)       
Also, I must admit ... This wasn't the easiest part of any modelling project I have done to date....  But, it is done now! ....I am very relieved - to say the least!  :rolleyes: 
Edited by Piprm

Preparation of Main Wing for Wheel well :

LzTluRG.jpg?1

I had to reinforce the wing prior to separating it from carrier sheet as the old ID molding is 1mm thick - about 50% thinner then the current Tigger version..

(Yes, I allowed for the extra-thickness of the Tigger molding in the resin parts) 

Also... Surprise-Surprise!.. the wheel well seems to protrude into the jet nacelle cavity / exhaust tube! (The jet engine is located just forward of the wheelbay)

This isn't a mistake - that is how the designer intended it... so don't blame me!  :shrug: 

qe7hbE4.jpg?1

Edited by Piprm

Particular Parts  study:

​Time to test-fit  the wheel well - into the Main wings.... (for fit and correct 'look' purposes) 

Extra panels and parts with stamped holes are not easy to duplicate in resin so the areas marked  'X'  must have the holes  cut out of the resin piece.

ZTLMp31.jpg

Now - for an interesting comparison photo ... not quite the exact same viewing angle... but it's close enough to give me some confidence that I am on the right track....

aVlh5AG.jpg?1

qKQJk4T.jpg?1

Yes - it's  unpainted and a raw original 'loose' master mock-up  ... But it's good ...or should I say 'Wise' to check it now for fitment and make any alterations before committing the parts to a resin mold ... (but these are still early days!) 

7GVgFJz.jpg?1

gH5MEE5.jpg?1

7GVgFJz.jpg?1

HEbcmRw.jpg?1

qPD7sW3.jpg?1

I am Happy with the results of my efforts - So far.... :D

Edited by Piprm