Trumpy Corsair II canopy?

JunkyJan

This thread is useless without one of Chris' correction kits posted!

I'm here to save the day!!

Very very nice! I remember growing up and reading my dad's copies of Time Magazine as well as Life - and those depressing articles they published during the Vietnam War (late '60s / early 70s). One article had a beautiful colour pic of an A-7 being launched from a carrier.... The photograph was almost taken at the same angle. I am continuously amazed by how such a prominent feature could get messed up... 

• 3 weeks later...

The new book is published by Fox 2 and is available from Hannants https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/FTM002

Whilst searching I found this.. some great pics here..

http://www.fox2.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=28474&mode=print&sid=6f5cf83d463738525d9ca7f3d5114139

Edited by Nigels modelling bench

Yes Barry, but did you finish it and would you part with it so a good vacform puller can create the necessaries ? Or is it just for show ?

I bought TWO Zactomodels A-7 correction sets and each came with ONE vacform canopy set. I sure would be happier with a spare.

TBH I think Glen @ Kittyhawk would do well to consider the LTV A-7 family for 1/32 IM treatment. The A-7A/B, A-7C/E and A-7D/H (with or without a tandem TA-7 in the line-up) would all find a big market I'm certain. The markings options are stupendous.

Tony

Yes Barry, but did you finish it and would you part with it so a good vacform puller can create the necessaries ? Or is it just for show ?

Tony

Tony,

No it has not been finished, yes if someone is willing, No it is not.

Barry

Barry...

Pull me a couple of canopies... I'll pay ya for them!

MM

Mike,

I am not a vac former, sorry.

Barry

Barry, I'm not accusing you of showing off but, rather, as it looks so good, trying to ascertain if it's a "this is how you do it" or whether it might be finished and leased to a vac former.

Sadly, I am not one myself.

The other thing that's needed is an A-7A/B backdate set, proper A-7 ALQ-126 DECM canoe and Linebacker era ALQ-100 DECM arrangement - am working on the latter two for the pair of SLUFs in progress here.

But I'd still rather see a new tool for this very significant jet.

Tony

Barry, I'm not accusing you of showing off but, rather, as it looks so good, trying to ascertain if it's a "this is how you do it" or whether it might be finished and leased to a vac former.

Sadly, I am not one myself.

The other thing that's needed is an A-7A/B backdate set, proper A-7 ALQ-126 DECM canoe and Linebacker era ALQ-100 DECM arrangement - am working on the latter two for the pair of SLUFs in progress here.

But I'd still rather see a new tool for this very significant jet.

Tony

Tony,

Ah...the misunderstood "sound" of the written word.

The reality is after the effort to carve and shape Chris released his set and I was able to get a couple of spare main canopies from him. The were seconds and the windscreens are unusable. As I have resurrected my A-7D build I will be using at least one of them but will hold onto the other until I am in the clear so to speak.

I tried to pull canopies and windscreens several times but failed miserably fortunately Chris rescued me! I have now learned more about making male patterns including making them slightly undersized to allow for material thickness which I did not even think about...so the A-7 masters are too large. This I also did on my F-100F master and that is a major reason that build has gone dormant, at least for now.

I agree it would be nice to see a new tool kit correcting the inaccuracies of the Trumpeter kit. For me the only interest is the USAF D version as it is what I worked while stationed at Myrtle Beach, SC.

Cheers,

Barry

There are none.

We can hope Chris Wilson finds a satisfactory vacform part subcontractor as that and the Su-27 canopy correction sets are no more.

I have two sets and am currently building two A-7Es. I tried to get back-up vacs from Zactomodels as a fail safe but he wouldn't sell me any.

Maybe somebody enterprising who's competent at moulding clear resin can provide a fix. But I don't think Paul Fisher or Alistair Alleycat is interested, unfortunately.

Tony

Hi Tony and Guys

I do not mind having a look at this canopy for the A-7 but I would need some help, as I cannot purchase a fairly expensive kit that I have no real interst in myself. Secondly I do not always know what is wrong or what needs a few tweaks on every kit.

So if you guys come across issues and are prepared to help me with some information as to what is wrong, and then for some kind soul to lend me parts from a kit that are relevant i.e in this case the fuselage halves and the original canopy, then I can look at what can be done. The person that sends the kit parts gets say two free castings if all works and in most cases gets their original parts back in 100% condition or as near as possible to 100%, what I am saying most times I do not need to destroy or damage any donor parts but if I have to then I will discuss that with you before that happens.

So let me know as and when you have something. I NO longer own A2Zee Models / Alley Cat but I do pattern making and casting, opaque and clear, for various guys, and I am prepared to look at projects IF I get a little help as explained.

The best way to contact me is via my email uc27studio@gmail.com

cheers Ali