PzKw IV H +G Italeri 1:35

fam43

Well I think it's time for a bit heavy metal.
Late in the 70-ties I bought some Italeri PzKw IV modelkits for an apple and an egg, as we say in Germany.

14PZKWIV-07_zps4b8f6d69.jpg

Really I built two tanks but I will describe only one in detail. I bought an engine and a transmition from the after market. The transmisssion was wrong and I had to change it a bit. Bulkheads turretbasket and some other things were made of plastc card.

14PZIV-03_zps474723b4.jpg

Some changes of the transmission with 2-K putty. You will not see too much through the openings. their is no need for expensive items.

IMG_5745_zps0ef0a2ee.jpg

Now let's start with the hull. This will be a late Panzer IV. It had a fueltank where once was a small engine for the turret gear. The poor ladds had tu do it now by hand.

14PZIV-04_zps040054b4.jpg

Let's fill the hull with some bits and pieces. You don't have to be overcorrect because the interior will be cracked up.

14PZIV-05_zps7a3510e8.jpg

The white parts are castings in paster of paris. Except the engine and the gear all master forms are made of plasticard.

14PZIV-06_zpsb6630354.jpg

Edited by fam43

This is great to see. With today's "Wunderkits" and piles upon piles of aftermarket parts to add to them, most people wouldn't even consider building a kit like this. It shows real passion and skill to dive into a project like this when it would be so much easier to just throw money at a newer, easier option. :goodjob:

:popcorn:

John

Nice start! Good work on the extra details.

FYI: The Italeri kit is a mixed bag on the details. Some are for the F/G, others are for the H. For instance, the suspension travel stop bumpers are the earlier G bumpers, so if you want to do a mid-late H you need to change them. Funny, they did the proper H/J bumpers on their StuG IV kit, but everything else, Pz IVH, JagPzr IV, Wirbelwind has G bumpers. If you don't want to change them, the late G/early H had mixed features so you could model one of those early H's. Not like the boxart, which is an HJ late H or J panzer.

• 2 weeks later...

Next step was cementing all this parts in the hull. It's easier applaying the "Zimmerit" in advance. I use a  cheap forming mass which is washable and dries quickly in the air. No problem when you goofed.

14PZIV-07_zps7e20e266.jpg

There is always the need to check the fiiting  when you use scratchbuilt parts

14PZIV-08_zpsb2bc03ea.jpg

When parts are missing or are bad a little scene canhelp. The right driving sprocket was broken. This I call a happy accident.

14PZIV-09_zps5c2ab723.jpg

14PZIV-11_zps49062393.jpg

14PZIV-10_zps002b40e4.jpg

Edited by fam43

These are all details I will add to the interior of the turret. You won't see much of it when the Tank is finished.

14PZIV-24_zpsb8c90577.jpg

Last chance to do damage to the inner hull.

14PZIV-17_zps89c096ee.jpg

I jump ahead a bit.
Time to do the groundplate before finishing the tank.Mostly I use nbreakfast slats for the base of tank dios. Cheap and of standardized size. That makes logistics much easier. Think the grade of inner demolition is enough now.

14PZIV-21_zps8310bf53.jpg

I decided the tank was shot up at the right side and burnt fiercly. The road wheels were damged accordingly.

2014PZIV-22_zpsf41e1d84.jpg

The weathering is only provisional will be finished later.
I used the original vinyl tracks of the Italeri kit because I couldnt handle the single link traks of dragon.

2014PZIV-23_zpsfdd48e7c.jpg

Now the Turret and cooling fans are in stalled.

2014PZIV-25_zps5c5c000c.jpg

2014PZIV-28_zps83655240.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...