Curtiss P-36A - 20th PG

Zero77

I begin to get a bit tired of this build....

First the Miroscale decals are a POC.... And then, i damaged the paint with my dirty gloves, and it's entirely my fault.... I use cotton gloves to handle the model, and they are too old with paint particles, and they became a bit sticky. So i just got awful finger prints on the models, through the gloves.... Angry toward myself.

I started to correct that, but that's a shame... And i cannot make small touch-up as with standard metallic paints. The polished aluminium requires a gloss black undercoat. Without it, i lose the high shine. And just spraying polished aluminium on the finger print dont do anything except highlighting them even more.

Back to the decals. Yes they are crappy. I dont blame Yellow Wings at all, as the design and research is good, but i think he should change his printer....

The decals absolutely dont conform to the surface, they react badly to the own Microscale product Microsol (wrinkles that dont disappear even when dry), some are very brittle when dry, and finally they don't stick at all.

I said they are brittle, look at this, the red is the more brittle, the blue behave better, i just dont know why :

20160108_021946_zpsnxm6mwf4.jpg

20160108_021953_zpsrgeqf36v.jpg

I was not satisfied with the tail markings (blue band and red stripes), as they were peeling on the edge of the tail, so i decided to go with the kit decals for the tail. And i was able to remove the Microscale decals only rubbing them with fingers. Here are some bits :

20160108_022028_zpsaiaa6h73.jpg

However, the Special Hobby decals behave way better. A real pleasure to work with !

On the picture, there are still some wrinkles around a small inspection panel, but that's not a problem, i will deal with that later.

20160108_021905_zpscit7njlw.jpg

20160108_021851_zpsxdwezsu7.jpg

In fact the only good point for the Microscale decals (except the printing, which is good with nice colors and details, i have to say) is the carrier film. It's almost invisible, even on a critical reflective surface as polished aluminium.

20160105_235858_zpslujwnwiu.jpg

20160105_235908_zpsrkd3kj7e.jpg

Thanks for your support Brian ! I'm gonna kill it ! (in the good sens of course !)

I've just finished the engine cowling 3 color stripe. As explained earlier, i thought it was impossible to use the decals because of the shape of the cowling, especially on the upper area (with the MG bulges). And at this time, i had not even noticed how bad were the decals to conform of uneven surfaces. So i had to paint this. Except for the red, i had to make mixes to get the same colors than the other red-yellow-blue markings, to keep something coherent. But i think it's quite good.

20160108_200348_zps8ijicpp9.jpg

20160108_200328_zps05da2tdv.jpg

I chose to apply a coat of gloss varnish to unify the colors, which did not had exactly the same sheen. Maybe it's too much glossy, i'll see that later. If necessary, i can apply a light coat of thinned satin varnish with a paint brush.

I was happy to remove the engine masking tapes ! That's starting to take shape.

20160108_200923_zpsozzazp9b.jpg
20160108_200933_zpslncukuot.jpg
20160108_200950_zpsa9cfkxx0.jpg
20160108_200939_zpsqsuau9ny.jpg

Hi 

That turns nicely , i's colourful ,and eye-catching !!!!!But , if I may : why didn't you paint the stripes on the rudder as you did one the cowl ?? the final result is hundred times better ......My 2c  opinion....................hit it good .................!

Alain  

why didn't you paint the stripes on the rudder as you did one the cowl ?? the final result is hundred times better ......My 2c  opinion....................hit it good .................!

Alain  

Why? Simple : i'm lazy !

I did not want to bother with tricky masking again, risk any metallic paint lift off, overspray under the masks (because of the uneven surface on the fabric rudder) implying touch-ups with more risks of peeling or overspray.... Decals appeared simpler to me.

But now, i agree with you. The Microscale decals are so bad that if i knew that before, i would have painted the rudder first, then mask it and only then tackle the gloss black undercoat and polished aluminium finish.

Guest Peterpools

Nickolas

Sure looks like to Good Guys came out on top ... nice going and taking care of business. I've used Yellow wing decals before and haven't experienced any of the problems you've. back in the day, Microscale Decals were; The Decal and never any problems. I'm wondering if the decals might be bad and dried out from being in a hot and dry warehouse before you purchased them. I would definitely fire off an email to Yellow Wings and I'm sure they will have an answer.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Why? Simple : i'm lazy !

I did not want to bother with tricky masking again, risk any metallic paint lift off, overspray under the masks (because of the uneven surface on the fabric rudder) implying touch-ups with more risks of peeling or overspray.... Decals appeared simpler to me.

But now, i agree with you. The Microscale decals are so bad that if i knew that before, i would have painted the rudder first, then mask it and only then tackle the gloss black undercoat and polished aluminium finish.

It's a good reason !!!!! If I remember , you experimented the same stuff on your F 86 ( yellow band) don't you ?,,

Alain

Thanks guys !

Nickolas

Sure looks like to Good Guys came out on top ... nice going and taking care of business. I've used Yellow wing decals before and haven't experienced any of the problems you've. back in the day, Microscale Decals were; The Decal and never any problems. I'm wondering if the decals might be bad and dried out from being in a hot and dry warehouse before you purchased them. I would definitely fire off an email to Yellow Wings and I'm sure they will have an answer.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

You're right Peter. I also wondered if i may be unlucky and got a set from a bad batch. I will send an email to Yellow Wings anyway. Their sets are nice, not pricey and for uncommon aircraft, they deserve a better feedback that this, that's a pity.

It's a good reason !!!!! If I remember , you experimented the same stuff on your F 86 ( yellow band) don't you ?,,

Alain

It was very different with the Sabre as i was using Rub-N-Buff for a real mirror effect, and Rub-N-Buff is quite difficult to mask and paint (any paint !) absolutely doesnt bite on it. It's not a paint but just a wax. Even too much handling may damage it. It's the better highly polished effect i know but it's a nightmare to work with in my opinion.

On the Rub-n-Buff i first tried to paint the yellow stripes over it, but i had to strip off the whole model and restart the paint job from scratch. For the second try, i first painted the yellow stripes, masked them, and only then apply the Rub-n-Buff. However, i still had to paint a few markings with stencils, and it was a real PITA (the paint lift off when i removed the masks !).

By the way, this Sabre is almost done, i just have to finish a few CAD design for custom decals for unit insignas. It is on the next ones to go. :)

That paint job on the cowl is terrific - great alignment over the compound curves and strong colour matching. Good stuff Nic!

Jim

Thanks Jim. In fact, it's far from perfect regarding the alignment. In the red/yellow area, there is a small offset that can be noticed from some angles. But yes it's quite difficult to get something good given the weird shape of the engine cowling when viewed from above !

I think i'm cursed with this P-36 decals....

First : i've just laid the other side of the rudder stripes. Kit decals. The first side was great and could not had better. But this one shredded in several bits as soon as i wet it.... I managed to set it correctly but it is not so good than the first one.

And secondly, just so you can call me the dumbest guy of 2016 : the "inspection panel" that you can see on this picture is.... just a bit of support paper that stuck on the underside of the decal for some reason....

20160108_021905_zpscit7njlw.jpg

I just dont understand how it happened as i always laid the decals on the model directly from the paper, and the model was obviously clean of any foreign object. I dont understand.... Anyway it happened, and i'm stupid enough to have missed it and took it for a part of the model !

Actually it makes me laugh. :) Unexpected and unintentional scratch-building. :)

I just got unwanted wrinkles for free.

Edited by Zero77