EagleCals vs. Hasegawa

modelmkr

So, I just purchased the 1/32 Hasegawa Fw190D-9 Late version 'JG2' kit (the one with the large Ta-152 tail, kit 08240).

I was looking over the painting instructions for both Brown 4 and Black 6 (both included in this kit) and something struck me as odd. When comparing the Hasegawa schemes to the Eagle Cals #58 and #126 equivalent schemes, there is a gross disagreement in the underside colours and their layout. The Hasegawa kit has just been released this year so it got me to wondering if new info has come to light as to the underside colours or is this just a erroneous interpretation by Hasegawa.

For example: on the Has. kit the underside of Black 6 is all natural metal with natural metal wing leading edge and gear doors, remainder of wing in RLM76, and the underside of the tail planes and nose in "sky" (my description, not theirs).

The Eagle Cals decal set describes the underside of Black 6 as "sky" (again, my description) including tail planes and nose, with the wings in natural metal and the leading edge and gear doors in RLM75.

Quite a difference to say the least. I would be far more apt to trust Jerry Crandall's research unless someone can tell me new info has come to light to cause Hasegawa to take such a radical departure from the accepted norm.

And yes, I am fully aware that the undersides are a bit of detective work and deductive reasoning as no complete photos exist of either of these aircraft.

Your thoughts?

Marc B.

There was no hesitation on my trust of Jerry's research, esp on D-9s (I stated that clearly in my post); it was more to find out if any NEW info had become available that would cause Hasegawa to take the direction they did.

So far it seems not.

Marc B.

Hi Marc, 

I have this kit also, and was wondering about the differences.  I looked brown 4 up Jerry's 2 volume set on the D9 (excellent books), he has several very good shots of this aircraft after capture by Allied forces.  The pictures seem to show the pattern that Jerry's decal set shows, same as you have pointed out.  The leading edge to about 1/2 of the lower wing is RLM 75, the rest is natural metal, then the flaps appear to be in light green.  

The best pictures are in Volume 1 pages 282-285.  Jerry also has black 6 and his interpreation also differs from the Hasegawa colors on the underside 

One of the more colorful D9's, similar to Black 12 which is another complicated pattern for sure.  

Paul C. 

They run them on sale about 2x a year.  I find both volumes to be excellent reference.  I purchased them from eagle editions, but since I have found them many times on eBay for less and in very good condition.  

I find myself wishing he had gone into the FW A-F models with this detail and the BF-109's.  

Paul 

Sales? Never heard that. Can u give us more info?

Eagle Editions will send out a email at least once a year sometimes 2x and I have seen the Blue (1st Volume) regularly on it, and sometimes the Red (2nd Volume).  I am on their email list and purchased the red volume at a discount I believe it was 10% off.  

I then realized that both volumes are on eBay pretty often most at a good price.  

I would love to get the leather bound edition, but I can't remember if that is still in print.  

As a D9 fan, I really love these two volumes.  

Paul 

I would trust Jerry. Not taking away from Hasegawa but their instructions probably haven't been updated since the first time they popped this kit (or the Revell version).

Regards,

Actually, their first release (Kit 08140) shows the proper colours and arrangement on the underside in the instructions… the latest release is all bogged up, which is why it got me thinking "do they know something we don't?".

Seems not…

Marc B.

Yeah, I would go with Crandall on this also. I have both Fw190D-9 books and they are the ultimate resource when it comes to the Dora and it's variants. The books are pretty pricey, but I was able to get Book 1 for about $70 and Book 2 for $50 off Ebay and Hyperscale. There are deals to be had on these books if you're patient.