1/32 Trumpeter EE Lightning F.Mk.6 XS904

Derek B

Dereck B,

You are the one person I was hoping would build a Lightning OOB.   I built mine almost OOB I added a pilot and seat cockpit details and wiring

I look at it and I see a Lightning and I can live with it just fine.  To see one who LIVES LIGHTNING build this  way will be a TREAT for me.

I plan a XS903 Black Tail and spine 3 tone Gray, an F3 in LTF Blue Tail and Spine and  T5 LTF or possibly 56 Sqdn Pink Tail NMF, I have those  markings in

48th scale also.

I purchased several kits from my LHS that was retiring completely and the Airfix  F1/A was in the bunch. I found a Lightning Markings book and

Fell Head over Heels in LOVE with this airplane.   I have more Lightning kits then any single subject including the airplanes my Father and Brother

flew in their combined 57 year service.

Watch'in you :popcorn: :popcorn:

Jack

Dereck B,

You are the one person I was hoping would build a Lightning OOB.   I built mine almost OOB I added a pilot and seat cockpit details and wiring

I look at it and I see a Lightning and I can live with it just fine.  To see one who LIVES LIGHTNING build this  way will be a TREAT for me.

I plan a XS903 Black Tail and spine 3 tone Gray, an F3 in LTF Blue Tail and Spine and  T5 LTF or possibly 56 Sqdn Pink Tail NMF, I have those  markings in

48th scale also.

I purchased several kits from my LHS that was retiring completely and the Airfix  F1/A was in the bunch. I found a Lightning Markings book and

Fell Head over Heels in LOVE with this airplane.   I have more Lightning kits then any single subject including the airplanes my Father and Brother

flew in their combined 57 year service.

Watch'in you :popcorn: :popcorn:

Jack

Thank you Jack - a man after my own heart. As I served at RAF Binbrook on Lightnings for nearly five and a half years, this aircraft is not just something I like, it is part of my cold war life and history.

To be able to help maintain and run two of these aircraft in a live fast taxi condition is a prvilige for me (all that the public see is a lot of awe insipring incredibly laoud noise and earth shaking vibrations - what they don't see is the sheer time and effort spent by dedicated volunteers, many now very elderly ex-Lightning RAF technicians, keeping these aircraft alive for the public to enjoy).

10665924_10152434300041589_7829912092934

10383080_10152434299931589_5895924358105

10646764_10152434299796589_3038216149566

1526907_10152434299971589_24216637827001

10665956_10152434300071589_2951761411332

I look forward to seeing your Lightnings Jack.

Cheers

Derek

100_7260_zps7opcgvcf.jpg

Colour matching in progress!

100_7261_zpsipu09ing.jpg

The closest colour match that I could find to Dark Admiraly Grey for the cockpit interior (allowing for scale effect) was my old Humbrol Authentic tin of enamel paint USN 1 (FS 36118). This was matched to the colour chip in my copy of BS 381C:1988.

100_7262_zpsmich0yn2.jpg

Ejection seat assembled - not impressed with the gap at the top of the parachute pack! Alsthough I want to build this kit OOB, I thinks that I will have to add a little basic detail to this seat at the very least.

100_7263_zps5w6t04u6.jpg

Tub assembled.

100_7265_zps6de0xqq2.jpg

Main cockpit components.

100_7266_zpsbilml34e.jpg

First coat of Humbrol Authentic USN 1 applied.

100_7267_zpsqz43diez.jpg

Kit instrument panel film applied to the panel transparency - partial paint of panel rear face.

100_7268_zps63xo2f1l.jpg

Getting rid of those hedious gaps.

Derek

Guest Clunkmeister

Matt and Derek, don't feel bad about not completing anything here. The only models I complete are those that the guys here whip me into completing...

Guest Clunkmeister

I don't know much about this aircraft, or the model.  I've heard the aircraft was very capable, but I heard the model was one of Trumps earlier efforts and a bit inaccurate...

A bit inaccurate is an understatement it has to be trumpeter's worst. But as it's the only game in town you have to get on with it. I'm watching this build with enthusiasm as I always do when a big lightning is being built. Hopefully I'll get some tips.

Happy building.

Dave

Edited by daveoh

I don't know much about this aircraft, or the model.  I've heard the aircraft was very capable, but I heard the model was one of Trumps earlier efforts and a bit inaccurate...

True Ernie, the Trumpeter kit is inaccurate in a number of areas. I have not, on purpose, looked at all closely where these errors lie for this particular build, as it is meant to be mainly an OOB build. However, I may do a little local tweaking or detailing to the more obvious anomalys as and when the mood takes me.

When I do eventually make my own kit, you can be certain that very little of the original kit shall remain unaltered by the time I have finished detailing and modifying it!

Cheers

Derek

Edited by Derek B

A bit inaccurate is an understatement it has to be trumpeter's worst. But as it's the only game in town you have to get on with it. I'm watching this build with enthusiasm as I always do when a big lightning is being built. Hopefully I'll get some tips.

Happy building.

Dave

I don't know about you getting tips from me Dave, most likely I'll be asking you! (Thanks for checking in).

Derek

Guest Clunkmeister

I'm looking forward to it, Derek.

This airplane is almost as ugly as my beloved CF-100!  Not quite, but almost   :rofl:

And I guess it did it's job... The threat of Gotha raids dropped to pretty much zero when the Lightning was operational.

Edited by Clunkmeister