A new line of 3D figures, I need your opinion

onosendai

This is the first prototype of a series of figures that i'm preparing in 3d, I'm thinking in different AGE personnel in various poses and this is one of many ideas (a USAF ground crew in BDU with our PC on flight line), each set will have different accessories such tools, ladders, instruments, mobile workbench etc. .

I think to work on three types of subject to start:

contemporary USAF

NATO generic 80-90

Vietnam.

I would like to know what you think and maybe some ideas on poses.

UsafCrew_001.jpg

UsafCrew_002.jpg

UsafCrew_003.jpg

UsafCrew_010.jpg

UsafCrew_011.jpg

Eh, eh, so you finally took the plunge!

Excellent idea. Dedicated figures are Ok but going with multipose ones would multiply the possibilities. However, I know that the larger are the figures, the more difficult it is...

Personally, I'd go first with some hot weather figures in T-shirt as they may be used for SEA, Middle East and western locations in summer.

I'm really up for NATO generic 1970s-1980s ground and aircrew, including early 70s Vietnam.

There's a dearth and desperate need for *seated* British 1970s / early 80s aircrew to put in a Hawk, Hunter, Lightning, Wessex etc.

Still hoping for the Dash 60 GPU. I'm waiting for that to order a munitions trailer and extinguisher sets at the same time.

Have the MJ-1 and it's truly excellent. Are you doing a missile adaptor for the munitions trailer ? I like the bombs one but would really like to make stacked up with Sparrows or Sidewinders.

Cheers

Tony

Thierry:

t-shirt figures will certainly be in the catalog of course, some in BDU, others without.

for the poses it is just what I think about

Tony:

no UK or other specific country for now, I have to make some choices.

Dash 60 is in the works for at least two years, sooner or later, maybe I can finish it.....

missile adaptor It's a possible option that I'm planning to add.

Edited by onosendai

Bravo!

This is a long overdue idea and deserves to do well.

I applaud any aftermarket producer who has the initiative to fill a need. Figures like this will look superb on a diorama or in the background of any large scale model.

Whatever you choose to do there will be those that criticise your choices but I hope that your resolve remains strong and you continue with this idea.

I'm sure that there are so many options that you will be spoilt for choice. I think if I were in your shoes I might begin by attempting to offer a small range from each era. By dipping a toe in the water it might be possible to see where potential sales are and then expand those ranges that become popular. Offering figures that will compliment your range of aftermarket GSE seems sensible too.

Personally, I would n't mind seeing a couple of figures depicting relaxed aircrew in an informal, airshow type pose sporting simply flying suits. I'd like a couple of USAF pilots to pose next to my F-15's and F-16.

Good luck with your venture and please keep us up to speed with how this project develops.

Cheers.

If you print them by your own your financial risks are limited, so give it a try, if you can sell them at the common price range of resin figures.

Suggest to add a second head. Common standard for many resin figure releases. A future set might be a "head-set" including 4-5 heads with earphones and/or different uniform caps reflecting different NATO Air Forces to give the customers the choice to "personalize" this (and other future) figures.

Regards

- dutik

Hi Dutik, really this products are not to be considered in the range of classic "resin figures" but simple parts for diorama, as I said will be part of a set of accessories (eg, a set of tools such as wrenches, pliers, screwdrivers in photo-etched). The price of this sets will remain in a range between 6-7/12 U$ i think.

But you compete against them. Avoid to have "Italerie-vintage-lookalike" figures in your set, or the whole diorama set will become a shelf sitter, because most modellers don't want to pay for a mediocre figur to get some diorama accessoires. Or even for a good figure that they don't need.

Maybe it would be wiser to split the offer in two: A set of accessoires, and a (single) figure set?

- dutik

I agree with Dutik and Thierry. 

I'm interested, later this year - especially if you do the missile adaptor - of getting an MHU-12 trailer plus two halon extinguishers but only one resin person to go with them. Two the same wouldn't look right.

Alternate heads and and a choice of arms would be very useful, even if it was something we had to choose when placing an order (figure A with arms type C and head type B, etc)

I like the diagnostics laptop but it wouldn't go with anything pre-1995. There was stuff like that at Lakenheath in 1992, for mission planning, but they were the size of a suitcase or very very big briefcase. 

It's a great idea and I wish you every success. You obviously are very talented  :bow:

Tony