Airshow Models (Fisher) Pitts S2B

Leaning_Dog

Nice progress, John! It's a shame about the decals, and I reckon you'd be better off painting the sunburst anyway, but I have my fingers crossed for you! And great service from Paul as always.

Kev

Thanks for the kind words, Kev. I strongly considered masking the sunburst on the wings right from the start, but if you look at the decals you'll notice a very fine black pinstripe along the edge of the white. I figured it would be a real challenge to create that fine black line so wanted to give the decals a try.  If I can't get an acceptable result on my second attempt, I'll mask and spray it.  Ironically, regarding the black pin striping, now that I've actually applied it to the model it doesn't show against the dark blue anyway...  :doh: 

Cheers!

John

Looks great!   I have Paul's Bulldog Pitts on my list to do..............this thread always makes me want to bust it out!

If your so inclined, I think those pinstripes on the sunbursts could definitely be done with masks. If you are in the mood shoot Randy @ StencilPal (AKA "sluggo" here @ LSP) a PM. He has a plotter/cutter that is capable of making VERY small cuts (SO small in fact I had difficulty weeding some of them properly) that would let you get the black edges on the sunburst in paint.

Looking forward to more progress!

• 1 month later...

After trying a few different things with the sunburst decals, it became obvious that Kevin and Mal are right - masking and painting the sunburst on the wings and horizontal stabilizer is the way to go.  The first attempt was a bit of a disaster, so after a "cooling off" period I stripped the paint and started over.  I measured the wings and made paper templates using the decals and photographs as a guide.  Then transferred the templates to Tamiya masking tape, and sprayed the blue using my airbrush.  Tamiya Blue X-4 is an exact match with TS-15 rattle can so I didn't have to repaint the entire model. 

Here the wings have been primed and painted white.  You can see my paper templates in the upper right.

QYVNRfP.jpg

Masks cut and applied.

PZl5N9f.jpg

WIbv2Zl.jpg

Blue sprayed on...

yRaarLq.jpg

Success!   :yahoo:

PHhXycz.jpg

ErCwc4L.jpg

Only a couple little touch-ups needed, then I'll spray a gloss clear-coat and apply the remaining decals on the fuselage, rudder, etc. Considering cutting very thin black strips of decal for the pin striping along the color demarcation to see if it will show up against the dark blue. Also need to create the templates for the upper wing now that I have figured out a method that works...

Thanks for watching!  

John.

Edited by Leaning_Dog
Replacing Photobucket images

Guest Peterpools

John

Looking fantastic and very nice recovery. At times I think my name nae is: Repaint!

Paul's customer service is just like the 7th Cavalry ... always to the rescue

Keep 'em coming

Peter

• 3 months later...

After my last post things got rather busy and the Pitts spent nearly three months resting quietly on the work table. Happily, I was able to get back to the bench in the last week. I created the masks for the sunburst on the top wing, and masked the fuselage as well. My initial plan for this model was to finish it in the 'classic' scheme using the comprehensive decal sheet supplied with the kit. As the model came together my plans evolved; I really wanted something unique so am finishing with a blending of the 'classic' and the 'contemporary' schemes - hence the sunburst on the wings and tail, while splitting the fuselage blue over white. And after seeing the amazing results achieved by folks on this site, I wanted to try masking and painting the entire scheme.

ErhPCqA.jpg

3QXoFqs.jpg

I'm going to try using 1/32" decal strips along the color demarcations on the wings and elevator, and a 1/8" decal strip on the fuselage as per the full size scheme. I also managed to find a sheet of numbers and letters that are 3/8" high - exactly 12 inches in 1/32 scale - for the N numbers.

7oV80hV.jpg

0aBXnDB.jpg

mcF3gVk.jpg

CO9ddMC.jpg

Only a few small touch-ups are required so I think I'm finally done spraying paint at this one. Once everything fully cures, the next step will be clear-coat, and then the striping. But for now, everything is on "Holiday Hold" for the next couple of weeks.

Wishing everyone a very Merry Christmas, and a safe and prosperous New Year.

Cheers!

John. 

Edited by Leaning_Dog
Replacing Photobucket images