Airshow Models (Fisher) Pitts S2B

Leaning_Dog

Love what you're doing with this John. I really need to get one of these before they go the way of the Dodo.

don't know how you guys find the space for those Felixtowes.

You just aint whistling Dixie there brother. :lol:

Cheers

Mike

Guest Peterpools

Hi John

Wonderful progress on the Pitts .

I have the kit as well and following your build will certainly be an aid in my build this coming winter.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

• 1 month later...

Hi folks - thanks for the kind words.  

Here's a quick update on the Pitts...  The two things that always seem to give me issues are instrument panels and vacuform canopies. Depending on the model, the degree of difficulty can be high, and in both cases things seem like they can go very wrong in a hurry.

I completed the former on this project thanks in large part to the excellent instrument decals from Airscale.  They really are amazing and I have no idea how they print at such a high resolution - under magnification they are simply incredible.  As for the latter I spent way more time than I should have cutting and trimming and fitting the small window on the bottom of the fuselage.  I'm stalling on the canopy until the last possible moment.  As for the air frame, only one or two more bits to attach and it's ready for primer and paint.

kHNr1Kk.jpg

LBbTvts.jpg

A couple weeks ago I was able to photograph Pitts Special S-2B N727PS and I have forwarded 25 images to Kevin to post as a 'Walk Around" for anyone building this kit in the future.  Of particular interest is the tail wheel assembly.  It's quite visible on the model and a prime candidate for a little extra detail... now that I know what it looks like.

5rQRmU8.jpg

wy1xPHT.jpg

I should have a little more time at the bench over the next few weeks so with luck the pace on this one will pick up a bit - I'm really looking forward to seeing this little plane in paint and decals!

Thanks for watching.  

John

Edited by Leaning_Dog
Replacing Photobucket images

A couple weeks ago I was able to photograph Pitts Special S-2B N727PS and I have forwarded 25 images to Kevin to post as a 'Walk Around" for anyone building this kit in the future.  Of particular interest is the tail wheel assembly.  It's quite visible on the model and a prime candidate for a little extra detail... now that I know what it looks like.

N727PS%20Tailwheel%20a%20600x450_zpswmns

N727PS%20Tailwheel%20c%20450x600_zpsy3pr

And here they are!

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/walkaround/wk.php?wid=160

Thanks for sending them in, John.

Kev

• 2 weeks later...

A short update on the Pitts - the upper wing is now painted (Tamiya TS-15) and the fuselage, lower wing, etc. is now in primer.  After reading here about the stellar properties of Tamiya Fine Surface Primer (rattle can) I gave it a try and this stuff is awesome.  Expensive, but awesome.  Somehow I managed to break off one of the tiny elevator trim tab control horns, so fabricated a replacement from plastic strip. Well, actually fabricated three.  The first one I made went shooting off into space, never to be seen again, just as I was getting ready to apply glue.  The second one 'pranged' out of the tweezers at about the same point of completion with the same result.  I managed to hold on to the third one to completion. The upper wing is just sitting on the fuselage at this point and won't be permanently attached until the sunburst decals have been applied.

Primer%20600x450_zps4wu9twak.jpg

More color coming soon!   :frantic:

Thanks for watching.

John

• 2 weeks later...

:oops:

I finally finished painting the entire model and it is VERY blue.  Here are a couple images of the model ready for decals. Once again, the top wing is simply sitting on the fuselage and won't be permanently attached until the sunburst markings have been applied.

XQgWilI.jpg

L6iEnc7.jpg

Next step:  DECALS!   The decal sheet is quite impressive, and is very nicely printed.

kPHcrCX.jpg

I started with the top wing sunburst pattern and while the left panel went down easily, the right side was a bit of a battle. The Microset setting solution wasn't doing the job so I tried an old bottle of Super Sol... no luck. Then I brought out the Big Gun - Solvaset.  At this point, things went horribly wrong. The Solvaset burned through the carrier film and some of the blue paint on the wing.

4YCfzlP.jpg

TfI8Bcw.jpg

Dang!   :BANGHEAD2:

A quick call to Paul Fisher and after sharing a few similar stories and laughs, a new decal sheet is on it's way and should be here in a couple days. Now that's customer service!   :clap2:

Meanwhile, I'll strip and repaint the wing, and proceed with the decals on the rest of the model. Worst case if I can't get the decals on the wings to work will be to mask and spray the white sunburst... 

And yes, still having fun with this little gem of a kit.

Thanks for watching!

John.

Edited by Leaning_Dog
Replacing Photobucket images