Avia S-199 vs Me109G nose shape query

gregv

hi all

so looking at the Avia S-199, and wondering if the nose is basically the same shape as a '109G, albeit with detail changes (intake on the opposite side, no chin oil cooler after the first bunch of examples, rocker cover bulges similar to G-10/K series, forward edge of nose rounded over for smaller spinner); or is it an entirely different nose that just happens to look vaguely the same? Curious as to how much work it would take to convert a 109G without having to get an aftermarket kit, or say to do it in 1/24.

Any info most appreciated!

cheers

greg v.

Guest Clunkmeister

Greg, I LOVE 109s, especially the 199.

Doing a conversion yourself would be a major undertaking. Nothing is even close from the firewall forward. Scoops, coolers, spinner, prop, the shape of the whole nose is different, and the supercharger intake is on the other side of the airplane. It also uses different exhaust stubs (JuMo style)

Plus, the axles are pretty much perpendicular to the ground on the 199, instead of being angled like on all Fatherland produced 109's.

And some late model Czech machines had sliding canopies as well.

I onsider myself pretty gung-ho with a Dremel and a knife, and personally, I'd never attempt this on my own.

If you do it, you're a better man than I am, Sir!

I didn't check Ron's link, but Werner's Wings offers an awesome kit. Limited production, but absolutely beautiful in 1/32.

One other thing. If you need info, PM me.

Edited by Clunkmeister

Very helpful and constructive Jennings, I am sure the OP is thankful for your input.

Here is a conversion kit for you to consider Greg in 1/32. Nothing available in 1/24

LSP Ron am I reading it wrong or is the first part of your answer pretty snipey at Jennings and in no way constructive to the OP's question? I don't always agree with Jennings delivery but he is knowledgeable and I can get past his delivery. I'd hate to see this site get bad on personal attacks like another very popular model site.

I think what really is a concern to me is that you are a moderator and there are rules about posts clearly stated. If you have a problem with what Jennings is posting and he's violating posting rules then it seems like that could be dealt with directly? Am I out of line here?

Just my opinion

Shane

Edited by wrbrdmech

hi again all

thanks for the wealth of info; I didn't realize so much was different, although I had a feeling it wasn't as simple as it might appear at first glance.... "A lot" does indeed seem to sum it up! The WW 1/32 conversion is beautiful, it's going on my wish list....

I recently grabbed a copy of MMP Books "Mezek a Turbina", which of course got me thinking crazy thoughts.

thanks again!

greg v.

Guest Clunkmeister

Greg,

Between you,me, and everyone else here, I'd HURRY on that WW conversion and get one NOW if you can at all swing it financially.

WW does NOT restart production, and as many of us have found out, when they're gone, they're gone. Simple.

Greg,

Between you,me, and everyone else here, I'd HURRY on that WW conversion and get one NOW if you can at all swing it financially.

WW does NOT restart production, and as many of us have found out, when they're gone, they're gone. Simple.

As far as I'm aware, they've already sold out.

Kev

LSP Ron am I reading it wrong or is the first part of your answer pretty snipey at Jennings and in no way constructive to the OP's question? I don't always agree with Jennings delivery but he is knowledgeable and I can get past his delivery. I'd hate to see this site get bad on personal attacks like another very popular model site.

I think what really is a concern to me is that you are a moderator and there are rules about posts clearly stated. If you have a problem with what Jennings is posting and he's violating posting rules then it seems like that could be dealt with directly? Am I out of line here?

Just my opinion

Shane

I will have to support Ron on this one...To pop in and continually snipe with two or three word responses is not helpful or constructive, and respectfully does not pull his short and terse punches..feelings have been injured on more than a few occasions.This I know for a fact,been here a long time.

It simply may be that he is socially awkward. If that "is" the case then fine,carry on.

LSP Ron ..."   "

Shane

I think it was a pretty gentle smack on the nose with a rolled up newspaper myself. No blood on the floor but the point is well made.

Sure, it was public.  The intent of which is twofold.  Hopefully it will encourage a more constructive and helpful input but also to illustrate to the members who are persistently irritated that the staff perceive a change in his posting tone would be something to look forward to.

Often these things are best sorted in private, but perhaps not always.

Matty