Avia S-199 vs Me109G nose shape query

gregv

Guest Clunkmeister

Been there, done that, William. One has to be VERY careful of what he says. All mannerisms and tone are lost when thoughts are typed, and as a result it's easy to offend and/or give the wrong impression..

Case in point:, my Pastor is one of my best friends, a sweet, loving, God fearing man, but he is text message challenged.

His texts are 3 words long,.. maybe.

It drives me nuts because I always think he's mad at me and wants to pull my throat apart or something...

So I always call to make sure he's OK.  A running joke, but it get's lost in the translation, no doubt.

I'm sure Jennings meant no harm, but we all need to be more careful of what we say and how we say it.

Ernie

While we're talking Avia S-199's here,  Anyone have a good color mix for an Israeli aircraft?  I understand that Revell/Germany has the color in

their paint line, but it would be impossible to get here in the U.S.  I was thinking start with RLM 02 and add a little olive drab.  I'm looking at only

Model Master and Humbrol paints available with MM being easiest to obtain.  Thoughts?

Also, I have the WW conversion set, and for those who haven't seen it, it's worth every penny.  Hopefully you guys wanting one can still get one.

Guest Clunkmeister

I need the proper Israeli gray color mix too. I have a conversion courtesy of LSP_Ray, and a Werners set courtesy of a very nice trade I made! Hoo rah! TWO Avias. One Czech and one Israeli.

I need prop blades though. My Werners ones are all messed up. :-(

Edited by Clunkmeister

I have built the Avia conversion, it's a very nice set. The casting is not as perfect as aires or eduard brassin' can be (i had to replace a few part, but nothing difficult), but it's pretty good with nice and crispy details, it just need a bit of cleaning and prep. The assembly is very straightforward with easy cutting of the plastic parts, and a very few sanding needed. The decals are awesome !

EDIT : i have forgotten one point : the large bulges on the wing for the large wheels. They were very painful to fit flush ! But i dont think that it is Werner's Wing's fault, as the parts seems to be copies of the G-10/K-4 plastic kit parts (for those who only have a G-6 kit, which do not include those parts), so i think it is the same thing when you build an hasegawa G-10 or K-4 OOB. But i wanted to make them flush with the wing surface with no step, and it was not easy !

Edited by Zero77

Guest Clunkmeister

Hey Zero,

I've never built the G-10/K-4 kit, so fill me in if you can, please.

Are the large bulges molded into the wings already, or do you need to put them in place? Are we better to use the G-10 kit from Hase, or the G-6 kit? Like I said, I want to do two of these airplanes.

What would you recommend as a stand in for prop blades?

I've been more of an early 109 builder, the late model stuff has never really been my bag until this 199 kit.

RLM 68 matched to Model Master FS 34258 Green matched here:

http://www.rlm.at/cont/archiv01_e.htm

or

RAL 6013 found in convenient paint sizes here:

http://www.lowvolumepowder.com/RAL6013-Color-Plate

Books I recommended are for Czech birds.  Vol. 1 has color profiles and walk-a-round of a museum bird.  Vol. 2 has a fantastic series of 1/48 scale and larger line drawings.

Avia S-199 in Israeli Air Force Service 1948-1950 by White Crow Publications has many color profiles.

Classic Warbirds Fighter Archive No. 9 by Ventura Publications has cockpit, line drawings, and color profiles.

All of course are photo heavy and information loaded.

Sincerely,

Mark

Edited by dodgem37

I have CIRO MODELS conversion set. It is a decent start for nice Mezek, the question is how "nice" you want to have it. Very few details vere ommited, nothing major, but again it is up to everyone to set the limit :),,, I started this conversion using Hasegawa's 109, but since Revell came with their Gustav, I've changed my mind and if time permits I may attempt to convert one ROG into my own addaptation of S199 using Ciro's prop and canopy and masks as a help. ...one day :whistle: