Trumpy A-4M

Usmcski

Greetings all,

Been watching from the sidelines for awhile, but finally signed up and figured I'd jump in!  

Growing up in Southern California, my family and I would attend the El Toro airshow every year.  One of the highlights for me was always the Skyhawk, and the "Mike" model along with it's OA-4M brother were always prominently displayed.  Once Trumpeter came out with their large scale M, I knew I had to build one.  Unfortunately, the only markings for a big Marine Scooter anywhere were high-viz, but I always liked the dull gray looks of the low-visibility schemes.  Besides, that's how I remember the planes when I saw them in the 80s.  

Doing some research, I found that high-viz markings in 1/48th scale would be similar in size to the subdued and smaller low-viz scheme.  I found myself a nice aftermarket high-viz sheet for the tail markings and oversprayed them to get the appropriate shade of gray; a 1/32 A-7 sheet provided the intake warnings, rescue arrows and ejection seat warning triangles.  The squadron designator (VMA-311 TOMCATS) was cut out individually from an appropriately sized letter and number sheet.  LAU-10 Zuni rocket launchers and the centerline tank came from Fisher Models, and I spruced up the kit Triple Ejector Racks and Mk 82 500lb bombs with a homemade thermal protective coating, arming wires and appropriate painting and weathering.  

Hope you all enjoy!

10514298_920478404633235_627499738450784

Edited by Usmcski

Thank you all for the overwhelmingly supportive comments!  I don't think my skills hold a candle to most of you, and to read your comments is truly humbling.  

And it's GREAT to finally be aboard!

Cheers,

Ski