HK B-17...C 5/4 sweating the metal

brahman104

Thanks Jim! You know with all the information available to us from books, videos and of course all the inspirational builds going on here, I've found it impossible not to get caught up in pushing my boundaries. There's literally so many opportunities to try new things on a project like this, it's the perfect proving ground for me. Almost every step along the way has allowed me to have a crack at something I haven't done before. It's just so much fun! :)

BTW your Tomcat dio is coming along nicely and there's more than a few skills you've shown that I'll be tucking away for " 'ron." :)

Cheers,

Craig

Craig,

Well, I have to admit that the original cockpit pales compared to #2.

The upper floor (with recesses for contol columns and locking levers) especially catches my eye.

The bronze green is a nice subtle multi-tone with just the right amount of wear to bring out your detail work.

On the real thing, paint is paint, but model painting requires some artistry to convey realism..

Very nicely done!

The 307 has always reminded me of the "chubby" cousin of the B-17 family --- but she grows on you.

Guess it's those lines --- still unequivocally Boeing.

247 through 747 and everything between them, the lineage is obvious.

Terry

Hello Craig,

because I see you have to struggel often against some gaps - I've got a little tip for you: gaps till 1mm you can easily close by brush with this.

http://s1027.photobucket.com/user/GreyOrk/media/Liquid%20Green%20Stuff_zpsp8nkoslb.jpg.html

The Citardel Liquid Green Stuff

Scource: Citardel homepage

Yours, Christian

Edited by Big bad Wolf

Craig,

Well, I have to admit that the original cockpit pales compared to #2.

The upper floor (with recesses for contol columns and locking levers) especially catches my eye.

The bronze green is a nice subtle multi-tone with just the right amount of wear to bring out your detail work.

On the real thing, paint is paint, but model painting requires some artistry to convey realism..

Very nicely done!

The 307 has always reminded me of the "chubby" cousin of the B-17 family --- but she grows on you.

Guess it's those lines --- still unequivocally Boeing.

247 through 747 and everything between them, the lineage is obvious.

Terry

Thank you kindly Terry! Still got a bit of a way to go with the paintwork, although since most of it will be dark or hidden in this area it's going to be purely for my own training :) I'm still not entirely sure how I'm going to work the control locks, I've pretty much just put in the large recess at the moment and worry about filling it later :) I've also started the control cables underneath but I'll catch that up in the next post as it looks more like a bird's nest than a cockpit right now!

OMG Craig - just tuned in from a fairly long absence. This is outrageous!

Thanks for looking in Jay! Although I would say that the same could be said of a recently completed P-38..... :) The fun and games continue, so feel free to check in every now and then and keep me honest!

Hello Craig,

because I see you have to struggel often against some gaps - I've got a little tip for you: gaps till 1mm you can easily close by brush with this.

http://s1027.photobucket.com/user/GreyOrk/media/Liquid%20Green%20Stuff_zpsp8nkoslb.jpg.html

The Citardel Liquid Green Stuff

Scource: Citardel holepage

Yours, Christian

Hi Christian,

As much as this is not your first post, I do feel quite privileged that you have taken the time to check in and comment on my build. Thank you for your suggestion, I'll be sure to check it out :) and from me, welcome to the forums :)

Craig

Thanks for the feetback and warm welcome, Craig!

I've learned this green stuff is used very much by modelfigure makers - and I've to admit the citardel metal colours are quite good - little particle diameter inside and a good covering. :blush: I like to be helpful if I can:blush:

And I've to admit I'm marveling at your B-17 it's a great work you do, the model is really a beast of a kit :frantic:  and what you do to her by detailling is wonderful.

As you built her in a post maiden fly status - are you going to add one or two figures to give a better idea of the scale to the viewer?     

Hi Christian, thank you very much for your kind words. As much as I would like to include a few figures inside the cockpit or the like, I will probably look at including a figure or two near the model once I've finished. I must say I'm not overly talented when it comes to figure modelling and I can't find any that have a good pacific theatre look to them. Anyway, that is a problem for much later! :)

Thank you for your interest in the build and please feel free to comment on the build :)

Cheers,

Craig

Thanks Wolf! :)

So even though I got some of those fancy Uschi wood grain decals, I figured I'd have a play with the cockpit floor; when I first put the oil paint on I thought I'd well and truely buggered it up, but now that it's dry, I don't think it looks too bad. Might go over it with some acrylic paint and do some fine details just for practice but otherwise,  here's my first attempt at wood grain :)

FullSizeRender_zps6von1f6d.jpg

Onto the reverse side, and it was time to start running some of the myriad of control cables that come from the central pedestal. I can only imagine how much of a nightmare it must have been to rig this plane, or for that matter, re-run cables that had been shot out in combat. Full respect to the groundcrews! :)

I've got a roll of some kind of shiny slightly elastic thread which, although it's not the right colour, is relatively easy to work with and smooth, so no fuzz issues here.

FullSizeRender%203_zpswx3od9xb.jpg

For those who are familiar with the underfloor of the cockpit in a B-17 will know there's some rather complicated brackets to hold all the pullies. The trick here is to assemble everything in the correct order, as it's pretty much impossible to try and re-thread through the deep down parts once everything is on top. This must be what it's like to do rigging on a ship in a bottle...... :hmmm:  not sure I'll be taking that up any time soon!

Here's a few of the brackets in progress. I've cropped the photos as they're really tiny, so the imagine quality is a little rough, but you get the idea hopefully :)

FullSizeRender%206_zpsgqafybob.jpg

Sorry guys, I'd like to post more, but photo bucket is being unhelpful at the moment. I'll try again later :(

Craig

Edited by brahman104

Okay, let's try again...

FullSizeRender%207_zps0wujmbzm.jpg

FullSizeRender%205_zpscaimrvl1.jpg

Starting to get pretty busy down there! Lots more little brackets to do but I'm loving working with the aluminium sheet :) Everything just looks so much more crisp instead of being painted... unless you're Wolf and you have ridiculous painting skills!

IMG_2127_zpsdbfz24na.jpg

Lots more to do, but it's getting there :)

Craig